Looking for that perfect green smoothie that tastes amazing? This Green Citrus Smoothie is smooth, creamy, and tastes fantastic! The perfect way to start the day or enjoy for a healthy snack.
Y’all it’s January! The month of goal setting, resolutions and whatever else that you do to kick off a new year. I’m working on several things actually. I started working out on Monday.
So to say that I want to curl up and die would be an understatement. I am sore. I’m easing into working out by doing some PiYo. It’s a BeachBody product….Don’t worry, I’m not selling it, or asking you to buy it, or Shakeology, etc.
I bought this YEARS ago and happen to really enjoy it. I thought it was the perfect way to get my body moving, something that it has not done in a very long time.
With working out, I’ve also been making better choices when it comes to eating. Now I am still totally gonna eat junk, right now I’m sticking to eating 75/20. For me, eating only 20% bad is good.
Haha. I consider the sugar in my morning coffee part of that 20%, as well as sweet tea with dinner. That is far better than what I’ve been doing the last couple of years.
When I’m trying to eat better I gravitate towards smoothies. They are filling and you can pack in greens with ease, since you can’t really taste them.
I’m not the biggest veggie lover so if I can toss spinach into smoothies to give myself more vitamins, I’m all for it. That’s what I did here.
This smoothie is loaded with flavor, and y’all spinach isn’t one of those flavors. Woohoo! It’s also a great way to get kids to get their greens in as well. This is something that Kelsie and I have been enjoying drinking.
My tip for the spinach…I buy a bag from the grocery store, come home, and toss it straight to the freezer. This way it doesn’t go bad, and it blends up perfectly from frozen. So technically it’s a money saving smoothie because you won’t be wasting money on spinach since it will be freshly frozen. Win!
In the weeks to come I will be sharing with y’all several tasty salads and a few more smoothies and smoothie bowls!
Ingredients in Green Citrus Smoothie:
- lemon juice
Green Citrus Smoothie tips:
- Use Kale along with your spinach for a bigger nutritional boost.
- Always use a frozen banana! Frozen bananas are what lend to the creamy base of a smoothie.
- Lime juice is just as tasty as the lemon juice.
- Use any dairy free milk of your choice. (I’d steer clear of using water – there is no flavor at all!)
- Toss in a handful of frozen strawberries.
- Add in chia or flax seeds for an extra bit of protein.
- Pineapple and mango are excellent choices. Omit the apple, banana, and orange and use pineapple and mangos. Frozen of course!
Can I add protein powder to a green smoothie?
Yes! I would use a vanilla flavored protein powder. I don’t think chocolate would go so well!
Here are some of our smoothie favorites:
- 1 banana, chopped and frozen
- ½ apple, sliced you can peel it if you want
- 1 orange, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups spinach, packed
- ½ cup milk
- Add all of the ingredients into a blender, making sure to put the banana and apple on the bottom, blend on high for at least 2 to 3 minutes to insure everything is blended smooth. Serve!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 298Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 319mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 14gSugar: 26gProtein: 17g
Did you make this recipe? Tag @joanna_everydaymadefresh on Instagram