The Best Vanilla Frosting is simple to make, and perfect for any cake or cupcake. It’s rich and creamy and quick to whip up.
This post contains affiliate links. It does not cost you anything extra by clicking the links. If you make a purchase from the link, I will get a small commission from the sale. Thank you for always supporting Everyday Made Fresh.
This frosting is so perfect for any flavor cake or cupcakes that you’re making. I happen to make this for my Simple Vanilla Cupcakes that I was redoing the photos for a few weeks ago.
The Best Vanilla Frosting paired so perfectly with those cupcakes. Sometimes I just like simple, and it doesn’t get much more simple than vanilla cupcakes and vanilla frosting.
This frosting is so easy to make and it’s ready in minutes. You can half this recipe perfectly for 12 cupcakes, which I do often.
I like to half a lot of my cupcake recipes, to make just a dozen, and this recipe is perfect for that. I also like that you can color this frosting to match any celebration.
Vanilla Frosting Ingredients and Substitutions:
- Butter – I always use unsalted butter, but salted works just as well. You can also use a dairy free butter, if you are dairy free.
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla Extract – I use Rodelle because I find that it has the best flavor. A whole vanilla bean would taste really good in this frosting as well. You could swap this for peppermint extract, pumpkin spice extract, almond extract, etc.
- Heavy Whipping Cream – I feel like heavy whipping cream helps to stabilize the frosting, and helps to hold it’s shape. However, I’ve used whole milk and half and half in it’s place without issue.
How to make vanilla frosting:
- Beat the butter with a whisk attachment for 3 minutes, until it’s pale and color and nice and creamy.
- Add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, making sure to beat thoroughly after each addition.
- Pour in the heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract. Beat for 3 minutes, until everything is nice and combined and the frosting is fluffy.
- Frost your cake or cupcakes.
How long can I store vanilla buttercream frosting?
You can make this in advance and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. If you choose to do this, you will need to let it come to room temperature before piping.
Decorating with vanilla frosting:
I have this piping bag and tips set from Amazon. However, I’ll be honest almost every time I frost anything, I use a gallon ziploc bag with the corner snipped off with this star tip placed into the opening that I snipped on the zip lock bag.
How to use vanilla frosting:
- 1 ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 197Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 92mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 0gSugar: 23gProtein: 0g