You've found it - The Best Chili Ever!! This is my dad's recipe and a blue ribbon winner at a chili cook off. Made with ground beef, beans, spices and a secret move that you won't find in other recipes.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
There is chili and then there is CHILI! I like to think that this is the recipe for the best chili ever! It did win a blue ribbon after all.
Years ago my dad entered a chili cook off at his church, using this recipe, and won! So it's not really my word that your taking, but the blue ribbon voter's word that your taking!
Maybe this chili is the best chili ever because it's so simplistic. Maybe it's because the flavors are those classic chili spices that chili lovers know and love.
Or perhaps it's that doesn't knock your face off with too much heat, that will make you want to drink gallons of milk after each bite. I don't know what it really is about this recipe that makes it the best ever, but it seriously is.
Like I said, don't take my word for it, it was voted as the best! See for yourself, and then let me know what you think!
- stewed tomatoes
- chili beans
- dark red kidney beans
- tomato sauce
- ground beef
- chili seasoning packet
- chili powder
- smoked paprika
- onion powder
- garlic powder
How to make the best chili recipe ever.
- In a large heavy bottomed pot, heat over medium heat and brown your ground beef, onion and spices. (not the chili season packet)
- Once browned, stir in your chili seasoning packet and fill the empty packet with water and mix in.
- As soon as you've completed step 2, blend the two cans of chili beans into a blender or food processor. This is the secret step!!
- Once blended pour those beans, the can of kidney beans (not drained), stewed tomatoes, and tomato sauce into the ground beef mix. Stir to combine, and simmer over medium to low heat for at least 30 minutes. Longer is always going to be better. But 30 minutes also yields some delicious chili.
dark red kidney beans: Use any kidney beans that your family likes. You can choose to use all chili beans if you'd like. This change will alter the flavors of the original recipe.
chili seasoning packet: Homemade will also work in this situation. This will alter the flavors of the original recipe.
ground beef: Ground turkey or a combination of ground beef and pork can be used. This change will alter the flavors of the original recipe.
classic chili recipe faqs
what is the secret to really good chili? Besides flavor, texture is everything which is why we think the ground up beans give this chili the perfect texture.
does sugar make chili taste better? I have never in all my years of making chili or eating chili had a chili with sugar in the ingredients. Sugar has no place in chili.
is chili better the longer it simmers? Yes! The longer it simmers, the flavors have time to build and meld together.
can i make chili in the crockpot/slow cooker? Yes! I like to cook my meat and onions with my spices, like in step one, and then add everything to a slow cooker. Place it on low for at least 4 hours.
- 1 pounds ground beef
- ½ onion diced
- ½ teaspoon each salt pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- 1 packet of chili seasoning
- 2 cans chili beans
- 1 can dark red kidney beans
- 1 28 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 15 ounce cans stewed tomatoes
- In a large stock pot, over medium to high heat, add your ground beef and diced onion and seasonings.
- Finish cooking until meat is no longer pink, and drain any grease away.
- Add in your packet of chili seasoning, and fill the packet with water, and add that.
- Stirring until the meat and onion are thoroughly coated.
- Turn heat to low.
- In a food processor add chili beans and blend until smooth.
- Pour your blended beans, can of beans, tomato sauce, and stewed tomatoes into your meat.
- Simmer over low heat for at least 30 minutes. 2 hours will give you the best flavors.
- Top with sour cream and shredded sharp cheddar cheese!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 345Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 1466mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 6gSugar: 10gProtein: 26g