These are The Best BBQ Baked Beans with Bacon! They are a crowd pleaser, perfect for any potluck, summer dinner or BBQ. And, you only need 5 minutes to prep!
This BBQ Baked Beans with Bacon recipe will be your go-to when it comes to summer picnics, family cookouts, and any potluck…it is that good, and most importantly that easy.
This recipe for quick and easy southern baked beans is one that has been in the family for years. Believe it or not though, I used to wouldn’t come near a pot of these baked beans! Yep, I’m a total picky eater, but I’m getting better every year. These have quickly become a favorite.
What are baked beans?
Baked beans are simply white beans baked at a low temperature in some sort of sauce.
How do you make baked beans?
For my recipe, I like to use a can of baked beans that are already seasoned, and then add ingredients to it, to take away not only the tin can flavor, but also to build on those flavors already there.
Ingredients that I use in my BBQ Baked Beans with Bacon recipe:
- canned baked beans (no particular flavor, I just grab whatever is on sale)
- red onion
- brown sugar
- Worcestershire sauce
How long do you cook baked beans?
This recipe is quick, and is ready in one hour. However, you can totally cook these longer, if you like your beans a little more tender, or you want to create a thicker sauce.
I have been known to cook these for 2.5 hours, but this is only when I double the recipe!
How do you store baked beans?
Store your leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge, for up to one week.
Simply reheat by placing in the oven on 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes, or in a microwave safe dish, covered with a paper towel.
What do you serve with baked beans?
Burgers – hot dogs – chicken – pork – brisket – smoked turkey – ribs
Our favorite sides that go great with these BBQ Baked Beans with Bacon and the above mentioned:
- 1 28 oz can baked beans (any flavor will do)
- 10 slices half cooked bacon chopped in 1/4 inch pieces (see notes)
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- If you haven't already, follow the notes below, and cook your bacon half way. This adds that 10 additional minutes to the total time.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a cast iron pan (10 inches) or a casserole dish, mix together all the ingredients, except for the bacon.
- Now add half of the bacon, and mix together.
- Bake for 30 minutes, and stir.
- At the 30 minute mark, add the rest of the bacon on top, and bake for 30 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp.
- Remove, and allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving. (this is just to help thicken up the sauce, it is not totally necessary; it's up to you)
Bacon: You want to cook this half way, because it will continue cooking with your beans in the oven. I usually cook my bacon for 10 minutes, and then drain on paper towels, and chop.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 102Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 354mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 3gSugar: 13gProtein: 4g