All the flavors of a taco but in this great Taco Chili form. It’s simple, comforting, and will be one of your favorite go-to chili recipes!
Nothing says comforting to me like a big bowl of chili. I don’t deviate too far from my daddy’s chili recipe. It won a blue ribbon at a church chili contest, and it’s the one that I make year round.
It’s the one that reminds me of the comfort of my childhood home since daddy always made it a few times when the weather cooled down.
Every once in a while, like once in a blue moon, I’ll try out another chili recipe.
One day I was thinking of soups to make, and someone mentioned taco soup. As I sat there thinking about taco soup, the more I thought about how much I would rather have chili than soup.
I said “what about taco chili?” I did a quick search, and didn’t really come up with anything, but taco soup. The idea was born, the recipe was made, and it is fabulous!
If you love the heartiness of chili, and the flavors of taco, you’ll love this Taco Chili. It’s so full of flavor, and you can make it as spicy as you want!
We used our favorite toppings, sour cream, extra sharp shredded cheddar, corn chips, and cilantro. However, you could use queso fresco cheese, jalapenos, fresh avocado slices, or even black olives. The toppings are endless.
This is a great chili for a chili bar! Or even those walking tacos that so many people serve at parties.
I used my daddy’s basic chili recipe and changed it from there. It’s so simple to make, and you can add or take away what your family doesn’t want.
Like the corn, it adds a great pop of sweetness, but if you’d prefer you could use the corn as a topping, and add an extra can of black beans in the chili.
When I was coming up with this recipe, I ask a couple of different people what they thought of the idea. Reviews were mixed.
However, the ones I did ask, after they tasted, their reviews were all good. That’s because Taco Chili makes sense.
It’s thick like a chili should be thanks to my daddy’s little secret of grinding the beans up in the food processor or blender before hand. 🙂 It’s part of the reason daddy won that blue ribbon!
Black beans make perfect sense in this recipe, and two cans of refried beans as opposed to the white chili beans we grind up would be a great option.
It would really help lend more taco flavors to this already nicely seasoned Taco Chili.
If you make this chili, come back and share with us what you think! Did you make any changes, and if so what?
Ingredients in Taco Chili:
- ground beef
- taco seasoning
- chili powder
- white chili beans
- black beans
- tomato sauce
Topping suggestions for Taco Chili:
Cheese – corn chips – sour cream – cilantro – sour cream – salsa – avocado slices – guacamole – black olives
Can I make Taco Chili in the slow cooker?
Yes! Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat. Drain any grease and place in the crock pot. Add all the other ingredients. Stir it all together and cover. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
COLD WEATHER RECIPE IDEAS:
Mexican Inspired Dishes:
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 2 taco seasoning packet
- 1 tablespoon chili powder + more to suite your tastes
- 2 cans white chili beans
- 2 cans black beans, drained
- 2 cans corn, drained
- 1 28 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- corn chips
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- your favorite taco toppings
- In a food processor or blender, place the two cans of chili beans in, and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large pot, brown your ground beef, and drain away any grease. Stir in the taco seasoning packets and chili powder. Stir in ¼th cup water to help coat the meat with the seasonings.
- Pour in the blended beans, black beans, corn, and tomato sauces. Bring to a simmer, stirring often. (since this chili is thick, it will stick easily, so stir often!) Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, and do a taste test, season with additional chili powder as you'd like. You can serve this now, or turn the heat to low, and continue to warm for about an hour. This helps meld all the flavors together. Just don't forget to stir!
- Serve with the above mentioned toppings and/or your favorite toppings.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 596Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 2219mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 13gSugar: 13gProtein: 45g