Sweetened with duck sauce and spiced up with picante hot sauce, these Sweet and Spicy Roasted Brussel Sprouts make a delicious side dish to almost anything.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convince. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
As I was making these Sweet and Spicy Brussel Sprouts the other night, I giggled at the fact that most kids will turn their noses up, and be disgusted with vegetables, like brussel sprouts and asparagus. I never had that problem with Kayla, because she has always eaten anything you put in front of her. She did not get that after me! Kelsie is a different story, although it’s a unique one. You see, when it comes to vegetables, she loves brussel sprouts, asparagus, green beans, bell peppers, and even mushrooms. However when it comes to other things that most kids love, she doesn’t like them. Take chicken nuggets for example, she hates them. Unless they are the grilled nuggets from Chick fil A. She just started eating macaroni and cheese, and she would rather not have any type of chicken on the menu. Although she will eat the chicken I cook at home, she picks at it and eats a toddler sized portion.
Speaking of picky, that would be me. In the past year and a half or so, I have finally started eating brussel sprouts (so far only this recipe), asparagus (only when it’s roasted), and fresh green beans. I am still pretty yucked out by any other beans, but the fresh green ones. Mushrooms? Probably never. That’s life though, right? It’s what makes us all different. If we all liked the exact same things, life would be boring. At least that’s what I always tell my kids.
So about these Sweet and Spicy Brussel Sprouts! They are packed with flavor. As you can tell from the pictures, we like ours roasted and crispy. By all means, roast them to your desire, not mine. Unless you like charred bits and pieces. 🙂 The sauce that you toss them in after they have cooked, wow, it’s tasty! You can control the amount of heat that you want. The Tapito Salsa Picante Hot Sauce is the brand that we use. It’s allergy friendly for us, meaning it’s soy free. It’s hotter than your typical hot sauce, and I found it one day by searching for alternatives to sriracha online. I us duck sauce and a touch of maple syrup to cut some of the heat, and it’s all balanced out with our Soy Free “Soy” Sauce and fresh squeezed lemon juice. Your gonna love it!
- 1 pound brussel sprouts ends cut off, and rinsed.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce for our soy free soy sauce, see link mentioned above
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon duck sauce
- juice squeezed from one lemon
- 1 tablespoon Tapatio Salsa Picante Hot Sauce
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees, and line a baking pan with foil or parchment paper.
- Make sure your brussel sprouts are dry!
- Scatter your sprouts on the lined baking pan and toss with the oil, salt and pepper.
- Roasted for 45 to 60 minutes, depending on how crispy you want them.
- Every 20 minutes toss them around a bit so that they are roasted on all sides.
- In the last 15 minutes of cook time, place the soy sauce, maple syrup, duck sauce, lemon juice, garlic, and Tapatio sauce in a small pot.
- Heat to a boil, and reduce the heat to keep the sauce simmering until the sprouts are cooked.
- Once the sprouts are roasted to your liking, place them in a large bowl.
- Pour your sauce over them and toss to coat.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 209 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 1282mg Carbohydrates: 26g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 15g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g
What kitchen essentials did I use to make this dish possible?
- Pyrex 3 – Piece Glass Measuring Cup Set
- Pyrex Smart Essentials Mixing Bowl Set
- Prepworks by Progressive Snap Fit Measuring Spoons – Set of 5
- Rachael Ray Cucina Cutlery 2-Piece Japanese Stainless Steel Santoku Knife Set with Acacia Handles
- CounterArt Flexible Cutting Mat with Food Icons, Set of 4
- Wilton 3 – Piece Cookie/Baking Sheet Set