This Summer Pineapple Cake is fruity, moist, light and refreshing. The perfect cake for those hot summer days.
This post contains affiliate links. It does not cost you anything extra by clicking the links. If you make a purchase from the link, I will get a small commission from the sale. Thank you for always supporting Everyday Made Fresh.
As a kid growing up, we used to visit my grandmother in Florida several times a year.
I always loved going to her house for various reasons. For one thing she lived close to the beach, and as a child I loved going in the ocean, and playing in the sand.
Other reasons I loved going to her house were all food related.
I totally took after my grandmother when it comes to cheese. She always had extra sharp cheddar cheese in her fridge. She wouldn’t buy that pre sliced crap either. It was always a block of cheese, and never off brand.
She was lactose intolerant, or believed she was (?), so she hardly ever had regular milk on hand. I ate a lot of cereal with half and half at her home. It adds a nice richness, and if I ever have certain cereals that she had on hand, I always reach for the half and half for those memories.
But y’all, nothing ever beat her Summer Pineapple Cake. It was my favorite part of Summer and pretty much became almost a tradition because at least once a Summer I would get this cake.
Ingredients for this cake:
- one box of cake mix (white or yellow), and the ingredients it requires
- one can condensed milk
- one can crushed pineapple
- heavy whipping cream
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
How do you make pineapple cake?
You toss the ingredients together to make the cake and bake it.
Once it’s done, you poke holes all over the cake, and pour the condensed milk all over. (while it’s hot!)
Spread the crushed pineapple all over the cake.
Place in the fridge for at least 2 hours for the cake to chill.
Whip up the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract to make the whipped topping. And once the cake it completely cooled, spread it on top.
Do you have to refrigerate pineapple cake?
Yes. This cake must be refrigerated, and served cold.
I recommend using a cake pan like this cake pan from Wilton. It’s similar to the one I have. It comes with a lid, which makes it easy to cover and store in the fridge.
How do you make a pineapple cake from scratch?
Simply use your favorite cake recipe, or follow our favorite recipe.
Once baked, poke holes all over the cake, pour the condensed milk over the top. Followed by the crushed pineapple. Refrigerate until cold. Once cold, whip together the ingredients for the whipped topping and cover the top. Enjoy cold!
- 2 ¾ cup cake flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch cake pan (or two 8 inch round cake pans). Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together cake flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl attached to a stand mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, and oil together.
- Add the vanilla and eggs. Beat until combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the dry ingredients in 3 parts alternating with the buttermilk. Staring and ending with the dry ingredients. Gently fold until no lumps remain.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes if using a 9X13 or 30 minutes if baking in round cake pans. Or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting or assembling your cake.
Can I make Summer Pineapple Cake Gluten Free?
Yes. This recipe has been tested with Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour, using the above recipe for vanilla cake.
Our favorite summer recipes:
- Simple Southern Fried Squash
- Easy Off the Cob Mexican Street Corn
- Old Fashioned Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
- How to Make the Best Beef Brisket
- 1 boxed cake mix - yellow or white is fine (you can also use a from scratch cake, I have used the vanilla cake recipe many times - it's linked above)
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 can crushed pineapple
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 ½ tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make the cake as the directions on the box follow. Or follow the recipe in the post for vanilla cake.
- Remove from the oven, and poke holes all over the cake.
- Pour the condensed milk all over the top, followed by the crushed pineapple.
- Cover and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- In a large bowl attached to a stand mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk together the powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Pour over the top of the cold cake, and serve immediately.
- Or place back in the fridge. This cake is vest served cold.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 333mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 1gSugar: 26gProtein: 3g