Spaghetti Carbonara is a fancy sounding pasta dish that is simple to prepare. Ready in less than 25 minutes, and requires literally a handful of fresh ingredients.
I remember the first time I ever had Spaghetti Carbonara. It was at an off the wall Italian restaurant, and I wanted something different.
I chose Spaghetti Carbonara, because doesn’t it just sound fancy? Little did I know that the dish has eggs as a main ingredient! I am not a fan of eggs at all. I love egg whites; fried, scrambled, and in an omelette.
However, the yolks, forget it. Yuck! I was shocked that I didn’t taste any egginess.
Years went by before I had the dish again. This time was different though, I decided that I wanted to try and make it myself. When I made the choice to make it, I figured it was going to be a recipe a mile long, that called for a bazillion ingredients, and that I would be in the kitchen for 45+ minutes. Boy was I wrong!
As a matter of fact Spaghetti Carbonara is the simplest pasta dish that anyone, and I mean anyone can make. It will impress friends and family, and it’s the perfect pasta dish when you’re having company over just for entertaining, or for the holidays.
I highly suggest that everyone have a simple but elegant dish that looks and sounds as if you were in the kitchen for hours.
Before I show you how to make my Spaghetti Carbonara, you have to grab a glass of wine! Wine and Spaghetti Carbonara go hand-in-hand. After all, what’s an Italian dish without wine!
If I may suggest what I think is the perfect wine pairing with the Carbonara, Clos du BoisChardonnay. It’s bright refreshing fruity and spicy notes make for the perfect glass to sip while you’re preparing your Carbonara, and eating it.
Like I said before this Spaghetti Carbonara is simple, yet elegant. It is gonna take you 25 minutes max to prep and cook this dish, and it’s going to impress the heck out of your guests!
First you’re going to need to grab some ingredients – I already told you about the Clos du Bois Chardonnay, but that’s just for sipping. A great Carbonara requires no wine in it’s sauce.
Spaghetti Carbonara ingredients:
- You’ll only need 2 eggs (as fresh as possible)
- a bundle of fresh parsley
- 1/2 pound thick sliced pancetta (do not use bacon. you can find pancetta at the deli counter in most grocery stores)
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 cups finely shredded fresh parmesan cheese
- 1 pound Angel Hair pasta
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
How do you make spaghetti carbonara?
Heat a large pot of water to cook your pasta in while you do these next few steps. Don’t forget to salt that water!! You want it to taste like the ocean.
Slice and cube the pancetta
Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over medium to high heat. Once it’s heated, toss in the pancetta.
Cook until browned and crispy, stirring occasionally.
Once the pancetta is brown and crispy, turn the heat off, and toss in the garlic. Remove from the heat. I place on a hot pad on the counter. This step is critical for the sauce. You need the pan to cool off enough that you don’t end up with scrambled eggs!
By this time the pasta water should be ready. Once the water reaches a rolling boil, drop in the pasta, and cook for 6 minutes. (if you are using another size/brand of pasta, I can’t promise that this dish will turn out with my directions)
While the pasta is cooking, whisk together the two eggs, and 1 and a half cups of the parmesan cheese. Set aside.
Drain the pasta and pour into the pan with the garlic and pancetta.
Pour the egg and parmesan cheese mixture on to the pasta.
Toss in about a handful of chopped parsley.
Toss really well. Make sure that the sauce has completely coated the pasta, and plate up! Serve with extra parsley and shredded parmesan cheese.
Here are a few of our favorite Italian favorites:
- 1 pound Barilla Angel Hair Pasta
- 2 eggs
- 1 and a half cups finely shredded fresh parmesan cheese + more for garnish
- 1/2 pound thick sliced pancetta sliced and cubed
- 1 small bundle fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- Prepare a large pot of water with salt, place over high heat, and bring to a boil.
- While the water is coming up to temperature, brown your pancetta in a large pan with a drizzle of olive oil, over medium to high heat.
- Once the water reached a boil, drop in your pasta, and cook for 6 minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking finish these next few steps.
- When the panetta is brown and crispy, remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the garlic.
- Whisk together the eggs and 1 1/2 cups parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Once the pasta has cooked, drain.
- Pour the pasta into the pancetta and garlic.
- Pour the egg and parmesan mixture into the pasta.
- Toss in the chopped parsley, and stir to thoroughly coat the pasta with the sauce.
- Serve immediately with more parmesan cheese and parsley for garnishing.
Perfect pairing - Clos du Bois Chardonnay
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 490Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 124mgSodium: 409mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 17g