This Smokey Black Bean Dip is simple to make, and only requires 10 ingredients! It’s creamy, smokey, and spicy, everything you want in a black bean dip! This dip is made for holidays, parties and tailgating.
Everyone knows that a great tailgate has a dip! This end all, be all, when it comes to dips. Seriously. Creamy, smooth, smokey, and with just the right amount of heat. It’s easy to make, and only requires 10 ingredients! 4 of those ingredients are spices, that you most likely already have. They are spice cabinet staples. You know, salt, pepper, cumin, and oregano. If those aren’t staples in your cabinet, you should totally think about getting them. So many awesomely tasty recipes have those spices in them.
So about this Smokey Black Bean Dip – we were at my aunt and uncle’s house before the holidays and we were talking recipes. My uncle, pulls out some recipe cards, and I start snapping photos of the ones that spoke to me. This made that cut, and when I made this dip, I knew that I had to share it with y’all. Now, I made it a tad differently, I think, than his. I only say I think, because y’all know what…I didn’t take a photo of the back, where the rest of the recipe was! Hahaha. Either way, this dip is amazing, and should totally be brought to any parties and all those tailgating events coming up for Super Bowl Sunday!
That hand up there? It’s Zack, my awesome husband, who is always willing to lend a hand, HAHA, get it? I’ll be honest, I laughed. Anyway. He helps me with my photos a lot. So do my girls, but he’s a trooper. I mean I can’t tell you how many times he’s pulled our chandelier to the side, (and held it there), over the dining table, so that I could get an overhead shot. I hope that one day I can bring him on behind the scenes, like so many other husbands do for bloggers. I’m sure he’d love to edit photos for me, be my permanent photo helper, and help make food videos. <— I’m working on this! I have a few that I have written out that I want to video, and I’m just waiting to buy the editing software. I’m pretty excited, and I’m sure he’d love to be able to come on and do the behind the scenes stuff!
Ok, enough rambling on. Let’s get down to the real reason y’all are here..this Smoky Black Bean Dip recipe! I’m sure you’re all going to fall totally in love with it, and it will be apart of your holiday parties going forward. It will be the one that everyone is surly gonna ask you the recipe for.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped (reserve one tablespoon for topping) I used a sweet onion
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped (reserve one tablespoon for topping)
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped chili in chipolte sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon, until nice and crispy in a large pan, over medium heat. Remove from the pan, and drain on paper towels. Remove the bacon grease, leaving behind one tablespoon. In the pan with the one tablespoon of bacon drippings, saute the onion and bell pepper, until tender.
- Add the cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir. Pour the black beans and chopped chili's in, and bring to a simmer. Simmering for about 10 minutes. Allow to cool for 15 to 20 minutes. While cooling, chop up the bacon.
- Pour into a blender with the sour cream, and blend until smooth. At this point give it a taste. Add more salt and pepper as needed. If you want it spicier, add in some of the sauce from the canned chili. Pour into a serving bowl, mix in half the bacon. Top with the remaining bacon, red pepper, and onion. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 122 Total Fat: 3g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 8mg Sodium: 119mg Carbohydrates: 17g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 7g