Who doesn’t love a good sloppy joe? A easy to make homemade sloppy joe sauce makes this Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole delicious and family pleasing!
This post contains affiliate links. It does not cost you anything extra by clicking the links. If you make a purchase from the link, I will get a small commission from the sale. Thank you for always supporting Everyday Made Fresh.
It’s no surprise that we are fans of eating sloppy joe’s. It’s fast, simple, and perfect to basically throw together on a whim.
One of our favorite go to weeknight dinners just so happen to be our Not Your Momma’s Sloppy Joes.
A perfect sloppy joe contains ground beef, a zesty tomato sauce, diced onion, and an array of spices. To keep the spice bottles to a minimal, I like using a good steak seasoning.
What other vegetables can I add?
The possibilities are endless, but a good start would be: canned corn, diced zucchini, mushrooms, bell peppers, and even jalapenos, if you like spicy foods.
You can even throw in a can of kidney beans or black beans for added protein.
Yes, you can add cheese!
Shredded cheddar would be so good as a topping (once it’s baked through, top with shredded cheddar, pop under the broiler for a couple of minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly,) or on top of the sloppy joe sauce, before placing the tots on top.
Cheese makes everything better right?!
Wanna make this in the slow cooker/crock pot?
Make your beef mixture on the stove top, like the directions call for. Once ready, pour into a greased or lined crock pot, with crock pot liners. Top with tater tots and cook on high for 4 hours.
Here are some other sloppy joe recipes that I think you should check out:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 ¼ pounds ground beef
- 2 teaspoon steak seasoning
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon vinegar most any will do, I’ve used quite a few
- 1 bag of tater tots
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a baking dish, I used a 9x9.
- Add your oil to a medium sized skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Add your ground beef, brown sugar, and steak seasoning.
- Brown your meat, toss in your worcestershire sauce and onion.
- Once your meat is cooked through and your onions are translucent add your tomato paste, sauce, and vinegar.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Place a single layer of your tater tots in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Pour your sloppy joe mix in on top, evenly.
- Place a single layer of tater tots on top of your sloppy joe mix.
- Season with salt and pepper across the top.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes or until your tater tots are golden brown and your sloppy joe mix is bubbling up the sides.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 517Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 126mgSodium: 1011mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 18gProtein: 41g