Sweet, salty, crunchy, and chewy this Simple Salted Potato Chip Pretzel Toffee will have you coming back for more!
When I was a little girl my mother used to make this really easy potato chip candy every year around the holidays. It was really just thick ruffle cut potato chips dipped into melted milk chocolate. It was a good thing that it was so easy to make, because it didn’t last long.
As soon as the chocolate had hardened, I would eat it right up! I sometimes find the easiest of things are the tastiest. I haven’t made any of her potato chip candy in years. But I enjoy snacking on it every year, thanks to Lay’s.
One day while browsing all the Christmas goodies at Target a few years ago, I saw chocolate covered potato chips. I was so excited, because I hadn’t had any since I was at least a teenager. (that was a very long time ago)
I, myself, had just never got around to making any to enjoy. I didn’t have any reasons other than my time was spent making new Christmas treats to try out.
Of course after seeing those chips at Target I grabbed a bag or two to enjoy. Enjoy I did! I literally ate one entire bag on the way home. No judging – childhood memories! 🙂
Fast forward to today, we still purchase the Lay’s Wavy Milk and Dark Chocolate covered potato chips. However, besides snacking, I also make Christmas treats with them!
Y’all know what is super popular right now, and all over Pinterest? Cracker toffee. The beauty of that recipe is, you can literally make any sort of toffee you please, just by replacing the bottom layer. I made a really great Spooky Pretzel Toffee for Halloween. And on Friday I have a Graham Cracker Toffee recipe posting.
However, today I’m sharing my Simple Salted Potato Chip Pretzel Toffee. This recipe is just as easy at the other cracker toffee recipes. It’s more of a waiting game than anything else. You will need a timer for this recipe. But other than that, you’ll only need basic kitchen supplies, no candy thermometer! So how easy is this to make? I’ll show you!
Ingredients in Simple Salted Potato Chip Pretzel Toffee:
- chocolate covered potato chips
- brown sugar
- semi sweet chocolate chips
- vanilla extract
- sea salt for topping
How do you make Simple Salted Potato Chip Pretzel Toffee?
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9X13 inch baking dish with foil, and spray it thoroughly with non-stick spray. Place a layer of Lay’s Wavy Dark Chocolate Covered Potato Chips and pretzels on the bottom. Overlapping is fine. Just make sure to cover the entire bottom.
- Place 2 sticks of butter and 1 cup brown sugar into a medium sized sauce pot over medium high heat, and bring to a boil. Stirring constantly.
- Once a boil is reached turn the heat down to medium, and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. At 5 minutes, remove from heat, stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and pour evenly over the potato chip pretzel layer. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, allow to sit for 3 minutes. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Set the timer for 3 more minutes. After three minutes, spread the chocolate all over the top, sprinkle with sea salt, and place in the fridge for 2 to 3 hours to allow to harden. See, a lot of waiting!
- Once hardened, pull out of the baking dish, and break into pieces, or if you’re OCD like me, you can use a large sharp knife and cut into bars, carefully.
Simple, right? You, and whoever else you serve this to is going to love it! Because salty, sweet, and crunchy go so well together. This would make great little gifts for the teachers, hair dressers, etc. in your life. Just break it or slice it up, bag it in cute holiday cellophane bags, tie a ribbon, and you’re done! – What’s your favorite holiday treat? This toffee is on my list of top 5 favorites!
What else can you put on top of toffee?
Chopped nuts – chopped candies – broken pretzel pieces – crushed chips
Here are some of our favorite holiday snacks:
- 1 bag Lay's Wavy Dark Chocolate covered potato chips
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9X13 baking dish with foil, spray well with non-stick spray.
- Create a layer of the chocolate covered potato chips and pretzels across the bottom. Set aside.
- In a medium sized sauce pot over medium to high heat, bring 2 sticks of butter and 1 cup brown sugar to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Once a boil is reached, turn the heat down and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- After 5 minutes, remove from heat, stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and pour over the potato chip/pretzel layer.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven, and allow to sit for 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Allow to sit for 3 more minutes.
- Spread the chocolate across the top with a rubber spatula, and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Place in the fridge for 2 to 3 hours to allow to harden.
- Once hardened, remove from the fridge and break apart of slice into bars/pieces.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 131Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 81mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 1g