A few ingredients are all you need to make these Simple Peppermint Truffles. Soft and creamy on the inside, with a perfect chocolate shell.
You know those fancy candies that you buy in the store that are elegantly wrapped in shiny foil paper? Did you know that you can make them at home?
These Simple Peppermint Truffles are made with 5 ingredients! Yep, 5, well actually 4, but I decided to throw in a bit of extra pepperminty goodness because I love peppermint and chocolate.
These would make for the perfect treat to have out when guests are visiting. Or a great little treat for neighbors, teachers, etc. Or you could just keep them to yourself because once you eat one, you won’t want to share. 😉
Although these aren’t hard to make, I have a tip or two, because I ended up with a bruised hand from scooping the semi-frozen filling from a bowl. My first tip that came from a friend of mine was to spread the filling into a shallow dish, such as a small sheet pan, from perhaps a toaster oven.
The second tip would be to not make the mistake of leaving the filling in the freezer longer than 30 minutes. I left mine in the freezer for almost an hour AND in a bowl. It was awful. So follow those two tips and you won’t have the problems that I did.
Ingredients in Peppermint Chocolate Truffles:
- white chocolate chips
- Hershey Peppermint Crunch Kisses
- heavy cream
- peppermint extract
- semi-sweet chocolate
- crushed soft peppermint candies for topping – optional
How to make the best peppermint truffles recipe?
First you’re going to melt the white chocolate chips and the peppermint crunch kisses together. I do this in short bursts in the microwave, with the microwave on 50% power.
Once melted, you pour in the heavy whipping cream and peppermint in. Mix to combine, and stash in the fridge for no more than 30 minutes.
Scoop out small balls of dough, and place on a parchment lined sheet pan. Place in the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes.
While they are in the freezer, melt that semi sweet chocolate.
Dip those semi frozen balls into the melted chocolate, and dust with crushed peppermint candies, if desired.
Allow the chocolate to firm up, and enjoy!
How long do chocolate truffles last?
They will last up to 6 months in the freezer, when stored in an air tight container. I keep mine in the fridge, until they are gone. This is usually just a few days.
Here are some other yummy peppermint recipes that I think you’ll enjoy:
- 8 ounces white chocolate chips
- 4 oz Hershey Peppermint Crunch Kisses
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- crushed soft peppermint candies for topping - optional
- Using a scale measure out the 8 oz white chocolate chips and 4 oz Hershey Peppermint Crunch Kisses. Place in a microwave safe bowl.
- In a small saucepan, heat the heavy whipping cream and peppermint extract until it begins to simmer, not boiling.
- Pour it over the chocolate in the bowl. Allow to set for one minute.
- Stir until the chocolate is completely melted. You may need to pop the bowl in the microwave for 15 second intervals on 50% power to get the chocolate completely melted.
- Pour the melted mix into a shallow dish (see my notes above in the post)
- Pop into the freezer for no more than 30 minutes!
- Using a small cookie scoop, scrape out one-inch balls, and roll until smooth. The heat of your hands will help with this step.
- Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet, once all the balls have been rolled, place in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Melt your semi-sweet chocolate according to the directions on the package.
- Using forks dip the balls into the chocolate, fully coating. Place back on the cookie sheet. If using the crushed soft peppermints for topping, make sure to dust them over while the chocolate isn't set.
- Once all the truffles have been dipped and dusted, place in the freezer to set. About 15 minutes. Remove and store in the fridge. Remove from fridge 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 177Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 20mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 18gProtein: 2g