Slightly sweet and slightly tangy, these Simple Lemon Squares are the perfect little sweet treat anytime!
This post contains some affiliate links for your convince. Click here to read my full disclosure policy
Kelsie has loved a lot of things long before she ever realized what they were. One being sloths. She used to watch this television show on PBS called, It’s a Big World, and the “host” was a giant sloth named Snook. I can still hear the theme, and sing The Way of the Sloth song. We watched it all the time. To this day she has this love and infatuation with sloths like not many others. It was one of the reasons we chose to go over to the zoo in Mobile, Alabama; so she could pet and feed a sloth!
Another thing that Kelsie has loved long before she realized what it was, is lemonade. When she was just a little thing toddling around she would drink my daddy’s lemonade from his cup through a straw. I have several pictures of her sitting at the bar in my grandmother’s old house with that cup full of lemonade in front of her. Her love for that lemon flavor has grown so much. She loves lemon flavored everything! As a matter of fact, she even loves the smell of lemons. (don’t we all?!) She loves the lemon scented soaps and lotions from Bath and Body Works even though her allergies won’t allow her to use them. But, that same lemon scent from Bath and Body Works, luckily for her comes in a candle. She has a huge 3-wick candle in her room she got for Christmas that smells heavenly, and of lemon!
These Simple Lemon Squares are totally of her, even though you know we all had to eat at least one. 🙂 They have the perfect tang, with the just right touch of sweetness. The glaze is amazing – so much so you could eat that stuff from the bowl!
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- zest from 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line an 8X8 inch pan with parchment paper.
- Cream together your butter and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add your eggs, lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Once incorporated, slowly add the flour.
- Once combined, pour and spread into your prepared pan.
- Bake for 23 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before making the glaze.
- To make the glaze, mix all ingredients together and pour and spread over the top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 147Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 117mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 2g
What kitchen essentials did I use to make this dish possible?
Sunbeam 2379 Mixmaster 300-Watt 12-Speed Stand Mixer with Stainless-Steel Bowl – The one I use belonged to my great-grandmother!