Salsa Verde Chicken and Rice Casserole is simple to make and is the perfect weeknight dinner fix. The whole family will love it!
When I first started paying attention to all the different varieties of salsa, I noticed this green concoction in a glass jar at the grocery store. I was sure that it was going to taste dreadful.
How wrong I was! However, it took me oh, I don’t know…years and years to finally buy some. I’m picky like that.
I made enchiladas several months ago that called for salsa verde so I had to buy it. I was hooked! Where has this stuff been all my life?
Um, on that shelf Joanna, duh! I was just too afraid to try it.
Anyway, those enchiladas were the bomb thanks to that green concoction, and so is this!
Salsa Verde Chicken and Rice Casserole Ingredients:
- extra sharp shredded cheese
- tortilla chips
- salsa verde
- cayenne pepper
- chicken broth
- heavy whipping cream
Salsa Verde Chicken & Rice Casserole addition:
Black beans would be perfect to add-in, before you bake this.
Top it with fresh cilantro, additional salsa verde, and/or sour cream. It’s delicious with any of those or all three. Kelsie tops hers with sour cream. Zack likes extra salsa verde. We all like the fresh cilantro!
More Mexican favorites:
- 1 ½ cups shredded cooked chicken I used three small chicken breasts
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup extra sharp shredded cheese
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- ¾ cup salsa verde
- 2 tablespoons scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat a large oven proof pan over medium to high heat.
- Melt the butter in the pan. Once melted, saute the garlic and scallions for two to three minutes, until fragrant.
- Whisk in the flour, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper.
- Whisk in the chicken broth and heavy whipping cream. Allow too heat to a simmer. Continue whisking, and cook for about 2 minutes, until it's slightly thickened.
- Stir in the salsa verde, cilantro, rice, and chicken. Top with the crushed tortilla chips and cheese. Cover tightly with foil or an oven safe lid. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil/lid, and bake an additional 10 minutes until the cheese is nice and bubbly. Serve hot!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 528Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 155mgSodium: 653mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 41g
Did you make this recipe? Tag @joanna_everydaymadefresh on Instagram