Modernize your next family meal with this scrumptious Salisbury Steak Shepard’s Pie, topped with a beef gravy that will make your grandmother proud!
This post contains affiliate links. It does not cost you anything extra by clicking the links. If you make a purchase from the link, I will get a small commission from the sale. Thank you for always supporting Everyday Made Fresh.
We have always enjoyed sheperd’s pie, it’s fast and easy to throw together, and the whole family scarfs it down.
However, once I started hearing shepard’s pie again(?) from my kids, I decided it was time to update the flavors.
It didn’t take long for me to figure out what to switch it up with. Hamburger or salisbury steaks, gravy, and mashed potatoes are on the menu at least once a month.
Heck, my kids will eat gravy on just about any meat and potato.
When this was placed on the table in front of the kids that night, it had that “WOW” factor that had been placed on the back burner with the old shepard’s pie.
And you know something? It was not hard to accomplish and YES, your gravy can look just like that.
What is salisbury steak anyways?
It’s a dish that has been around for years and years. It’s a pimped up version of a hamburger steak. It’s usually made with an onion and mushroom gravy.
What’s the difference between hamburger steak and salisbury steak?
A salisbury steak has more fillers, like bread crumbs, spices, herbs, onions, and a sauce. They are both very similar when cooking them in a sauce.
CAN I FREEZE SHEPHERD’S PIE?
You can! Just make it exactly like the directions say, including baking. Allow it to cool completely. Cover tightly, and freeze for up to 2 months.
When ready to eat, bake it frozen at 350 degrees for an hour.
CAN I MAKE SHEPHERD’S PIE AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes! It’s a great dish to make it the day before, night before, morning of. Just make it like the directions say, except cover it over, and bake it when you’re ready.
For the gravy – reserve the beef fat in a tightly sealed container in the fridge until ready to heat for the gravy.
What is the best way to make the gravy
I do a semi homemade gravy. I use a simple beef gravy packet, and then reserved fat, and water. It has the best flavors, and all I need is a little pepper to finish it off.
WHAT CAN I SERVE WITH SHEPHERD’S PIE?
- Skinny Broccoli Salad with a Poppy Seed Dressing
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with Apples, Bacon and Cranberries
- Simple Southern Collard Greens
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ cup diced onion
- 5 medium sized baking potatoes peeled, cubed, boiled to fork tender
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup milk
- ¾ cup water
- 1 beef or brown gravy packet
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
- While your potatoes are boiling, heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Drizzle a little oil in it.
- Add your onions and garlic, cook until the onions are translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Toss in your ground beef, salt, pepper, thyme, paprika, and worcestershire sauce and cook until browned.
- Drain your ground beef, reserving ¼ cup of the fat, and place the ground meat into a baking dish, I use an 11×7 inch dish, and set aside.
- Drain your potatoes, place in a bowl, add your sour cream, milk, and butter.Using a mixer, blend your potatoes until smooth and creamy.
- Top your ground beef with the mashed potatoes.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through and slightly browned on top.
- When your ready to serve, heat the ¼ cup fat, 1 cup water, and gravy packet in the same skillet you cooked your ground beef.
- Using a whisk, heat over medium heat until slightly thickened.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 585Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 131mgSodium: 629mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 42g
Of course you can add chopped vegetables to your ground beef before placing it in the oven. We usually take our veggies on the side when eating shepard’s pie this way.