Crushed pretzels make the best coating for homemade chicken nuggets. My kids love to eat these Pretzel Crusted Chicken Nuggets, and yours will too!
This post contains some affiliate links for your convince. Click here to read my full disclosure policy
One of my favorite snacks happen to be salted pretzel mini twists. We buy the huge one pound bag once every two weeks, and it’s always gone right before it’s time to buy another bag. I don’t know if it’s the crunch, the salt, or just the overall taste of the pretzel, but they are so perfect to grab a handful and munch.
We were watching a cooking show on The Cooking Channel one afternoon a few weeks ago, and I can’t remember who it was, but she was making pretzel crusted chicken strips. I immediately thought “OHMYGOSH, I have to make those!” I did, the family loved them, and they were a huge a hit.
I will give you a little word to the wise, these guys are not good with ketchup. At least this ketchup eater over here thought the flavors of pretzels and ketchup were, bleh! They are very tasty with honey mustard though. Don’t have any on hand? No big deal, just mix up your own! A little bit of that yellow mustard that almost everybody has in their fridge and a drizzle or three of honey will do the trick.
- 1 and 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into chunks
- 1 and 1/2 cups pretzel twists crushed - I placed mine in a gallon zip top bag and used my rolling pin to break them up. You can go chunky, like we did or all the way to a powder.
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 eggs
- non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and line a baking sheet with foil - lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Set up a breading station - Combine flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne in a dish for breading.
- Place eggs in another dish, and beat slightly.
- Place the crushed pretzels in another dish.
- Start with chicken in the flour, shake off excess, then into egg, allow excess to drip, and finally roll in the pretzels.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Once all of your chicken nuggets are ready to bake, spray them with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, remove from the oven.
- Turn over and spray the other side with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook for an additional 8 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center.
Allow to cool and dip in your favorite honey mustard!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 212Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 141mgSodium: 684mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 23g
What kitchen essentials did I use to make this dish possible?