Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers are a different take on the classic cheesesteak. A lower carb version of your favorite, that anybody will enjoy.
This post contains affiliate links. It does not cost you anything extra by clicking the links. If you make a purchase from the link, I will get a small commission from the sale. Thank you for always supporting Everyday Made Fresh.
Thin slices of well seasoned steak, caramelized onions, and melty provolone cheese all stuffed inside of a bell pepper; that sounds like the perfect meal! Plus, it’s low carb! These are the best philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers!
You won’t believe how quick these come together. The only slicing you need to do is to half your bell peppers, and cut up some onions. We buy the pre-sliced stir fry beef for this meal and it’s ready in no time.
What color bell peppers should I use?
Any of them! It’s all up to personal preference really. What’s your favorite bell pepper? Use that one!
I’m not a big fan of green, because they have a bolder flavor. Orange is my go to. But, Zack and Kelsie, they love green. So I do a combo of everyone’s favorite.
Do you have to pre-cook the peppers?
You don’t have too. However, they stay quite crisp and more raw like, if you don’t.
Can I make them ahead of time?
Yes. Prep them completely, without the final baking. Allow the meat to cool completely.
Place them in a baking dish with sides, and cover with press and seal wrap. Place in the fridge.
When ready to bake, remove them from the fridge, and allow them to rest at room temperature, while the oven comes up to temp.
You may need to add an additional 5 minutes to your bake time.
Love Philly Cheesesteaks? Here are a couple of our favorite recipes:
- Philly Cheesesteak Pasta Skillet
- Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
- Philly Cheesesteaks with Provolone Cheese Sauce
- 2 pounds sirloin steak, cut into thin strips (or you can buy the pre-cut to save time)
- 4 of your favorite bell peppers, washed, halved, and seeded
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- steak seasoning
- thinly sliced provolone cheese (amount depends on how many peppers your making, you’ll need one slice each)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Season your steak with the steak seasoning and set aside.
- In a large pot, large enough to hold your halved peppers, fill with water half-way. Bring the water to a boil.
- Once the water reaches a boil, place your peppers in the water, and boil for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the peppers and allow to drain onto paper towels until ready to stuff.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium to high heat.
- Pour in 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter. Once the butter is melted and the pan is hot, add your sliced onion, sauteing until the onion is translucent and slightly browned.
- Remove your onion from the pan and place the last 2 tablespoons of olive oil in your pan.
- Once the pan has heated back up add your sliced steak. Saute for 2 – 3 minutes, making sure to only turn once, after one minute to one minute and a half.
- Start by placing sliced steak into your pepper halves, followed by the onion, and topped off with the cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 715 Total Fat: 47g Saturated Fat: 17g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 25g Cholesterol: 221mg Sodium: 335mg Carbohydrates: 6g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 64g