Perfect Slow Cooker Beef Stew is hearty, comforting, and loaded with chunks of beef, carrots, celery, and potatoes – it’s everyone’s favorite!
Y’all I am so happy that it was cold this past weekend. I don’t know about where you are, but here in Florida, it’s been warm. By warm, I mean hot. There was a day that I swear was almost 80 degrees last week! In January, that is not right. I have been miserable. It’s January, it’s supposed to be cold. It’s winter! I know that Jack Frost can’t be happy with the temperatures we’ve been having.
While it was cold, I knew that it was one of the few opportunities that I’d get to make this Perfect Slow Cooker Beef Stew. It’s so good! I can eat soups and chili’s year round, but for some reason beef stew I only like when it’s cold outside. Weird, I know. It’s just the way I roll.
I didn’t grow up eating beef stew. We had chili and soup, and that’s about it. I’m not sure why beef stew wasn’t around, but it wasn’t. Is beef stew even a southern thing? Maybe that’s why I’ve never had it. Zack told me that his dad made beef stew all the time when he was growing up. Anyway. The first time I made beef stew it was awful. I followed the recipe perfectly, but it wasn’t good. I thought wow, how could beef, potatoes, carrots, and broth be so bad. Well, it’s not, if you cook it right! Since watching Food Network almost every time I watch television, I’ve learned that you have to cook the alcohol out of things. Ahhh. Well, when I was working on this recipe, I knew to add that bit of info to this recipe! Because if I was going to call this perfect, it couldn’t have the flavor of red wine. Plus, that wouldn’t have been very kid friendly!
If beef stew isn’t your thing, no big deal. We have tons of other warming recipes. I am sure that one of these will fit your tastes perfectly. Chicken and Orzo Soup, Lasagna Soup, Chicken Fajita Soup, Spicy Tomato Soup, Old Fashioned Vegetable Soup, Cheddar Beer Soup, Cheeseburger Soup, Chicken and Cordon Bleu Soup, Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup, Spicy Italian Sausage and Potato Soup, Creamy Baked Potato Soup, French Onion Soup, Buffalo Chicken Chili, The Best Chili Recipe Ever, White Chicken Chili, and a round-up of 12 Amazing Soups, Stews, and Chili’s.
- 1 pound lean chuck beef cut into cubes - you can also buy the pre-cut cubes
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 3 large carrots sliced
- 2 large potatoes peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 small sweet onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- flat leaf parsley for garnishing - optional
- 2 1/2 cups beef stock - low sodium
- 1/2 cup red wine*
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Heat the canola oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Mix together the flour, salt and pepper.
- Coat the beef in the flour, and place in the hot pan.
- Brown all sides of the beef, and place in the slow cooker. Do not drain the grease from the pan.
- With the pan over medium heat, pour the red wine into the pan, scraping any of the bits off the bottom. These are flavors you don't want to throw out! Simmer the wine in the pan, continuing to scrape the pan as needed for at least 2 to 3 minutes as the wine simmers.
- Whisk in the tomato paste.
- Pour on top of the beef.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, beef broth,thyme, to the slow cooker. Give it a good stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or until beef is tender.
- Salt and pepper to taste before serving.
I prefer to use the same wine that we use for drinking. However, if you aren't a wine drinker, you can purchase "cooking wine" in all sorts of flavors at the grocery store. You will find it in the same section the vinegar and oil is located.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 272 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 56mg Sodium: 484mg Carbohydrates: 27g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 5g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 23g