These Peppermint Mocha Scones are made with coffee, chocolate, and peppermint mocha creamer – you can’t get any better than this!
I don’t know about you, but the fact that I love coffee influences a lot of my recipes. This is the first of many coffee inspired recipes that will be showing up in the next several months; sweet and savory! I have several I’ve been working on to share with y’all.
Rather than enjoying my coffee in a cup, I also enjoy it in dessert form. The next time you make brownies, replace some of the liquid with coffee, you’ll see what I mean.
Coffee truly enhances all things, and nothing goes together quite like coffee and chocolate. Hello, mocha!!
These Peppermint Mocha Scones are the perfect little slice to go along with your morning coffee. I know one look at these guys and you may think that they would be way too sweet, but that’s just not the case.
Adding coffee, semi-sweet mini chocolate chips, and cocoa powder to the batter help tone down that sicky sweet taste that you get from so many frosted scones.
Aren’t they pretty? 🙂 The original recipe called for crushed peppermint candies on top, the hard peppermint. I had made some frosted peppermint brownies last year that I opted to use the soft peppermints, wow, total game changer!
They melt in your mouth as opposed to crunching along in every bite, and sticking to your teeth. I used semi sweet mini chocolate chips in these, but you are welcome to change it up and use whatever you may like. Just keep in mind that the change here will potentially make these a bit on the sweet side.
Peppermint Mocha Scones Ingredients:
- Peppermint Mocha Creamer
- Cocoa powder
- chocolate chips
- brown sugar
- baking powder
- baking soda
- vanilla extract
- powdered sugar
- peppermint candies
How do you make Peppermint Mocha Scones?
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Using a pastry cutter, mix in the the butter, until it reaches a wet sandy texture.
- Stir in the egg, coffee, vanilla extract, and International Delight ® Peppermint Mocha Coffee Creamer.
- Mix in the semi sweet mini chocolate chips.
- Drop the dough onto the lined baking sheet, and form a large disc.
- Score into 9 triangles, and bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Allow to cool a few minutes before slicing.
I completely forgot to snap a photo of the frosting! However, it’s so simple. Mix together 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon International Delight ® Peppermint Mocha Coffee Creamer, and 2 tablespoons softened butter. I used a large wooden spoon. Once the scones have completely cooled, frost, and top with crushed soft peppermint candies. I used a 6 oz bag.
One of my favorite part of enjoying these Peppermint Mocha Scones is having them alongside my favorite cup of coffee with International Delight ® Coffee Creamer. The Peppermint Mocha Coffee Creamer of course goes perfectly, but so does the Chocolate Hazelnut Coffee Creamer!
Love peppermint? Here are some of our favorites:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 6 oz bag of soft peppermints crushed
- 1 tablespoon International Delight® Peppermint Mocha Coffee Creamer
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter cubed and cold*
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coffee cooled
- 1/2 cup International Delight® Peppermint Mocha Coffee Creamer
- 3/4 cup semi sweet mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Blend the cold butter in with a pastry cutter until you get a wet sandy texture.
- Stir in the egg, coffee, and International Delight Peppermint Mocha Coffee Creamer.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop onto the parchment paper lined baking sheet, and form a disc, like the picture above.
- Score into 9 triangles, and bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before slicing completely.
- In the meantime using a large spoon mix together the ingredients for the frosting, except the crushed peppermint candies. Frost the completely cooled scones, and top with crushed peppermint candies.
*I cube it up and stash it in the freezer while I'm getting all of my other ingredients ready to go.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 490Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 382mgCarbohydrates: 68gFiber: 5gSugar: 35gProtein: 7g