Sure to become your favorite Christmas cookie, these Peppermint Crunch Sugar Cookies are so easy to make, super fun, and quite tasty!
I am all about Christmas cookies! I love every flavor, shape, color, and size. So far I’ve not really ran across a Christmas cookie that I didn’t like. Over the years I’ve made a lot of cookies during November and December. I’ve tried out hundreds of recipes, and we’ve probably only made a single recipe a couple of times. Not these! I have made these dozens of times over the years. I’ve teamed up with several other bloggers this year that are also sharing cookies! You can find recipes for tons of cookies here.
The idea of these cookies is nothing new. Plopping a Hershey Kiss in the center of a cookie has been around for years. I’m sure we’ve all eaten our fair share of the peanut butter cookie with the chocolate Hershey Kiss. I know I have. Even though those cookies are seen during the holidays, they aren’t special to me. They don’t scream Christmas. It’s a cookie I could eat anytime of the year. I wanted something different.
I first saw this idea on Sally’s Baking Addiction – she has some mighty tasty looking treats! As soon as I saw these, I knew that they were going to be awesome. I set out to make them exactly as her recipe says. That happened once, and then I added a little something to the recipe to make it different. It was the perfect little addition that made these become a Christmas tradition in our home.
I know that you’re going to love these just as much as we do. I think they will become apart of your Christmas cookie tradition. Also, if you have a cookie exchange party you are attending, these would be super festive to take!
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 10 tablespoons butter room temperature
- 2 egg yolks room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Christmas Sprinkles
- Red and Green Colored Sugar*
- 24 Candy Cane Hershey Kisses
- When you are ready to bake - Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare the baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed until the butter is nice and fluffy.
- Slowly beat in the egg yolks, vanilla, and peppermint extract.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, on low speed, until thoroughly incorporated.
- The dough will be super sticky!
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Mix together sprinkles and the red and green sugars in a small bowl - I eyeballed this. No need to measure.
- Roll dough into small balls, less than a tablespoon amount.
- Roll the balls into the sprinkle/sugar mixture and place on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 9 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet. Plop a Candy Cane Kiss in the center, and place the baking sheet into the fridge for 10 to 15 minutes. This will keep the kiss from melting.
- You can leave the cookies in the fridge longer. I got busy, and mine stayed for over an hour. No big deal. It will help the kiss reset. 🙂 Enjoy!
*located with the sprinkles - it's coarse in texture
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 173 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 29mg Sodium: 83mg Carbohydrates: 29g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 18g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 1g