Fresh peaches straight from Chilton County Alabama always calls for peach ice cream!
A fresh basket of peaches always calls for something sweet. I love peach ice cream, but only the kind that they have in Chilton county, Alabama. I'm a bit spoiled after having fresh peach ice cream from there years ago. The store bought peach ice cream just doesn't even come close to comparing.
I was a bit nervous about cooking peaches before putting them in the ice cream, but that was exactly what those peaches needed. This ice cream came out tasting just like the peach ice cream in Chilton County, which is saying a lot because they are known for their peaches! Come on, haven't you been driving down I-65 and notice that huge peach of a water tower on the Clanton exit? You haven't? Well, you have to look the next time your around that area!
I adapted this recipe from Growing Up Gabel. However, the peaches are the real key here. You have to make sure they are perfect before tempting this ice cream.
By the way, you'll have to forgive the melty ice cream picture. I was trying to get natural light from the front door and every photo I was taking the ISO had to be dropped lower and lower, so by the time it was fixed, the ice cream had melted a lot. Of course I could have gotten more. It there would have been anymore. This was the last of it. Oops. Oh well, real life people, real life!
- 5 ripe peaches you can peel them, I did not, chopped
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Place chopped peaches and sugar into a medium sauce pot over medium high heat.
- Stir and cook down until the peaches are juicy. Set aside and allow to cool completely. (I tossed mine in the freezer, I was in a hurry!)
- When the peaches are cool mix them and the condensed milk together, set aside.
- Whip the cream and vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the peaches and condensed milk into the whipped cream.
- Store in an air tight container in the freezer.
- Freeze for at least 6 hours. Over night is best.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 211Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 18mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 2g