Orzo and Asparagus is simple to make, tastes great, and is the perfect side to just about any dinner!
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy
I tried orzo for the first time when I made Spinach Meatballs with Orzo. It was so easy to make that I knew I wanted to make it again, but as a side dish. I ran across several recipes with orzo in it, but I didn’t want to really do those because they called for wine. I’m not fancy, although I do cook with wine from time to time, I don’t always have it on hand, and I know that most people don’t either. So why not come up with a recipe that doesn’t have wine, but has simple ingredients that we all usually have on hand? So this was my answer!
Of course you don’t have asparagus on hand, but you do go to the grocery store and buy fresh produce, so why not grab a beautiful bunch of asparagus for this recipe!
Ya’ll I got lucky in the kid department because my kids will eat asparagus and brussel sprouts, but if yours don’t, no worries, the asparagus is large enough for them to just pick it out! 🙂 It’s exactly what I would have done when I was little. (of just 8 or so years ago, ha!) However, with all the parmesan goodness, they may surprise you, and eat this!
What kitchen essentials did I use to make this dish possible?
- 1 pound fresh asparagus tips only
- 1 cup orzo
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese shredded + extra for garnish
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon chives for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook your orzo according to the directions on the package.
- Add the tips of asparagus into the cooking orzo in the last couple of minutes of cooking.
- Remove from the heat and drain when it's done.
- While the orzo is cooking, melt the butter in a medium to large pan over medium heat.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for several minutes until it's fragrant. (4 to 5 minutes)
- Add the cooked orzo and asparagus to the skillet.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese, milk, salt and pepper, and chives.
- Cook for one minute, remove from the heat, and serve!
- Garnish with additional chives and parm if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 234Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 272mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 8g