This version of orange chicken will put take out to shame! Your family is gonna love it, and request it all the time.
We miss eating Chinese take out something terrible. A soy allergy is hard when it comes to Chinese food, because it tends to be in every recipe out there. I managed to find a terrific soy free soy sauce recipe that I can use in place, that tastes almost identical, but it doesn’t work with all the Chinese recipes that I have. It makes a killer soy free beef and broccoli, and now soy free orange chicken, but I tried lo mein one day, and it’s back to the drawing board with that one, because it turned out awful. Sometimes it’s like that when your trying to adapt recipes to work with food allergies, and other times things fall into place and flavors work, and it turns out perfect.
I’m thrilled to share this recipe for orange chicken with y’all, that just so happens to be soy free! Your gonna love it. And if you don’t have a soy allergy, then by all means use store bought soy sauce. I found this recipe years ago and have really only made it a handful of times, even though it tastes amazing. To me it just takes a while to make, but the end result is so worth it. I never make this during the week, because it does take so long. The first time I made this, it was during the week. Let’s just say we didn’t eat dinner until almost bed time. However, if you really had a craving, and to prevent you from ordering take out, you could always sub the chicken for popcorn chicken. It won’t have the same crispy exterior that panko provides in this recipe. However, the sauce is really what makes this recipe, and the sauce really is quick.
- 3 large chicken breasts cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 1/2 cups corn starch plus 3 tablespoons
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for frying chicken pieces
- 1 1/2 cups water plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy free soy sauce or store bought soy
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger root
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion plus extra for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Rice for serving alongside
- Make your sauce first by combining: 1 1/2 cups water, orange juice, soy free soy sauce, rice vinegar, orange zest, brown sugar, minced ginger root, minced garlic, chopped green onion, and crushed red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Once it starts boiling, mix together 3 tablespoons corn starch and 2 tablespoons water and pour into your orange sauce. Simmer and allow to slightly thicken. Turn off heat and cover.
- Heat your oil in a fryer or a deep pan to 350 degrees.
- Place your milk in a shallow bowl for dredging.
- Place your corn starch in a separate shallow bowl for dredging.
- Place your panko in a separate shallow bowl for dredging.
- Dredge your chunks of chicken as follows: Milk, corn starch, milk, panko
- Fry chicken until golden brown, and transfer to paper towels to drain the grease.
- Once your chicken is cooked, it's time to plate up!
- We place our chicken on top of rice, and drizzle with the orange sauce.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 501Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 668mgCarbohydrates: 83gFiber: 1gSugar: 32gProtein: 25g