This One Pot Sausage, Chicken & Dirty Rice is loaded with spicy flavors, and lot’s of goodness! It’s cooked in one pot and perfect for any night of the week.
These last several days have been crazy. If you follow me on Instagram, then you already know about Kelsie fracturing her pinky finger during a 3 legged race at our homeschool group field day (Friday). (if you don’t follow me, you should, I post all sorts of behind the scenes life)
It happened of course on a Friday, and we all thought that it was just sprained, but that Friday part, on the way home from it happening I called Zack, and he said to call her dr. I knew what was going to happen…go to the ER because it was 11:45, and they close at noon on Fridays. That’s exactly what they said. I was avoiding a trip to the ER, because it’s a $300 copay. :-/ However, urgent care places have a $45 copay…so we headed to the nearest one, received x-rays, and got the diagnosis…two fractures. We received a referral to the orthopedic doctor.
Thankfully, we went Monday to the ortho doctor, and he was super sweet, and got Kelsie all fixed up with a brace, and she should be almost 100% in 4 weeks! So that’s a dance recital with a brace…but it could have been worse…it could have been a cast.
With all this going on, I have to be Kelsie’s right hand, since she’s right handed…and of course that’s the one she injured. I sort of feel like I’ve got a toddler again. Which is great, but then when I’m not used to that…it’s hectic. All of my one pan meals are really coming in handy. There are so many to choose from. I’m sure that I have made something to appease everyone’s tastes.
I love meat and potatoes, but I also love meat and rice. so this one pan sausage, chicken & dirty rice is perfect for me! It’s loaded with two meats, a smoked beef sausage, and juicy chicken breasts! The rice has all the best flavors in it, and with addition of celery and onion in the rice, you’ve got your vegetable fix as well!
I made this for my mother n law, and grandmother n law (is that the right term?) last month before Zack’s grandmother went back to Indiana, and they both enjoyed it very much. It’s spicy, but not too spicy. If you like your food spicy, you can always bump up the heat! Plus, I love that this one will feed 6 people. Most of all the meals I prepare are 4 person meals, since we are a 4 member family. But this one feeds 6! So, when the four of us eat it, we have 2 awesome lunches the next day, for some lucky people!
- 6 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 12 ounces smoked beef sausage
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup celery, finely diced
- 1 cup dry rice (I use Jasmine)
- 2 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper if you like it spicy, add more
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Place your chicken in a gallon zip top bag and dump in 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, and lemon juice. Give it a good toss to coat everything, and marinate for at least an hour.
- When you are ready to cook, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a dutch oven, over medium to high heat. Brown the sausage, and remove from the pan, and set aside. Place the chicken in the pan, and brown both sides. Remove from the pan, and set aside.
- Drop the heat to low, and In the same pan, cook the diced onion and celery until tender. Stir in the rice and chicken broth. Top the rice with the chicken and nestle the sausage around. Cover, and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the lid, and bake for another 10 minutes, or until the liquid is fully absorbed.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 570 Total Fat: 35g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 20g Cholesterol: 151mg Sodium: 1268mg Carbohydrates: 13g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 48g
recipe adapted from The Chunky Chef