Jerk spiced chicken and Mediterranean rice pair perfectly together in this one pan jerk chicken and rice dish!
I bet that if I ask you what you had for dinner last night that the majority of you would say chicken. It’s just a huge part of our diets. It’s so versatile when mixing flavors and you can go from Mexican to Asian with it in a matter of spices.
It’s the perfect main course on so many levels. However, I burn out on chicken fast. We eat chicken a lot, and when I say a lot, I mean it’s at least 4 out of the 7 days a week. That’s a lot to me.
Yes, flavors change, it’s versatile, I said so myself, blah blah blah. That is why I am constantly trying new chicken recipes.
I can only eat so much bbq chicken. Or baked chicken. Or roasted chicken. I need something different!!
This is different. This is delicious, and this dish is pretty. The chicken ends up with a nice golden brown with charred bits from all the tasty spices in the marinade.
And this rice, I can’t tell you how perfect this rice is. I’m not a person that can turn out perfect rice. I just can’t. There is something so hard for me when it comes to cooking rice. I have thought about purchasing a rice cooker, but I’m probably the person who would end up with overcooked and underdone rice cooked in a rice cooker. I have a very bad rice cooking problem.
But, this rice, it was perfection. It was perfectly cooked. Every single grain.
Anyways. Yes, this recipe requires a million + four ingredients, but please friends, don’t let that stop you. Because you will be missing out on a banging chicken and rice dish!
What ingredients are in Jerk Chicken?
- chicken breasts
- green onions diced
- cayenne pepper
- brown sugar
- soy sauce or our soy free soy sauce
- lime juice
- Jasmine rice
- bay leaf
- chicken broth
What makes jerk chicken jerk?
Jerk is a Jamican style of cooking in which meat is dry rubbed or marinated wet in a typical jerk spice. This almost always includes all spice.
What does Jerk chicken taste like?
It’s got a nice heat from the spices and a smoky flavor.
Is Jerk Chicken supposed to be spicy?
It is spicy, but it’s not hot. It’s got a nice heat to it that won’t cause you to run for a glass of milk.
Here are some other family one pan favorites:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 green onions diced
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoons allspice
- 1 ½ tablespoons thyme
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅓ teaspoon cloves
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 ½ tablespoons soy sauce our soy free soy sauce is perfect for this!
- 1 ¾ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion finely diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 ½ cups Jasmine rice
- ¼ cup carrots diced
- ¼ cup peas
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- pinch of saffron
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- Mix all ingredients together in a large zip lock bag, add the chicken, and toss it around the coat the chicken.
- Place in a bowl just in case there are any leaks. Marinade for at least one hour. The longer the better, so up to 24 hours would be perfect! (I only marinade mine for an hour)
- When your ready to cook, preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat a large heavy bottom pan over high heat with just enough oil to barely coat the bottom.
- When the pan is hot, sear both sides of the chicken until charred. (about 2 to 3 minutes each)
- Remove the chicken, and set aside.
- Allow the pan to cool before moving on. (you can rinse it, I do, just to cool it down quicker)
- Over medium to high heat, add the butter to the same pan.
- Toss in the onion and garlic. Cook until fragrant.
- Add the peas and carrots.
- Stir in the rice, parsley, rosemary, bay leaf, chicken stock, saffron, and salt.
- Mix well.
- Place the chicken on the rice, cover and bring to a boil.
- As soon as the liquid is boiling, remove the pan from the stove top, and place in the oven.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is done.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest covered for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Using a fork, fluff the rice just before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 526Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 117mgSodium: 3072mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 4gSugar: 13gProtein: 44g