The Best Easy Homemade Sloppy Joes are made with canned tomato sauce, tomato paste, and some seasonings, which lend to a perfect sweet and tangy sauce. No ketchup here! These Sloppy Joes that will put that canned stuff to shame!
This post contains affiliate links. It does not cost you anything extra by clicking the links. If you make a purchase from the link, I will get a small commission from the sale. Thank you for always supporting Everyday Made Fresh.
When Kelsie was diagnosed with a tomato allergy the allergist told us that in time we could "test" out cooked and raw tomato to figure out which one it was that she was actually allergic too.
When you cook food it changes their properties, and we were praying that a cooked tomato would pass the test because a life without tomato sauces would be awful.
We survived for months without a tomato sauce but decided to give it a go when Kelsie was no longer complaining of any pain. She doesn't like raw tomato so it was a no brainer to give the sauce a go.
When sloppy joe's appeared on the menu, the family was excited!
What ingredients are in The Best Easy Homemade Sloppy Joes?
- Avocado Oil
- ground beef
- steak seasoning
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Tomato Sauce
- Tomato Paste
- Brown Sugar
How do you make Sloppy Joes from scratch?
- Heat the oil over medium to high heat in a large skillet.
- Add the ground beef, onion, brown sugar and steak seasoning. Cook until onion is translucent.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, vinegar, and Worcestershire Sauce. Stir to combine.
- Simmer for 10 minutes. Serve on toasted hamburger buns.
Is Sloppy Joe and Manwich the same thing?
Manwich is a pre-made sauce that you mix with ground beef to make a version of sloppy joes. I have no idea what it tastes like nor do I know what is actually in that sauce.
Can I make Sloppy Joes in the Slow Cooker?
Yes! Line your slow cooker with a liner first. Then just brown your ground beef in a skillet on the stove top, and add that and all the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker, and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or on high for 2 to 3 hours.
Our favorite sloppy joe recipes:
- t tablespoon oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 teaspoons steak seasoning
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¾ teaspoon vinegar
- Add the oil to a medium sized pan over medium to high heat.
- Cook your ground beef, brown sugar, steak seasoning and onion, until the ground beef is no longer pink.
- Once your meat is cooked through, pour in the Worcestershire Sauce, tomato sauce, tomato paste and vinegar.
- Bring to a simmer, and turn the heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve on toasted buns.