These Not So Spooky Spiced Chocolate Halloween Cupcakes are perfect for Halloween!
I hope that you all had a great weekend! Do anything fun? We made our usual trip to Target, because we are always running out of something, and you know I am just like that meme that says you go in for one thing, and come out with a cart full. Glad there’s a meme, because it means I’m not the only one doing that! Ha! Seriously though, how does Target do it? Are they pumping some sort of chemical in their air system? Thinking about it, I’ve never seen anyone coming out with one item. I find that very strange.
Since it’s October it means that the pop-up Spirit Halloween Store is in town, and we’ve made our 40th trip to visit, and it’s just now October 3rd. As soon as Kelsie sees the sign out (it’s across from our Target), we start stalking the store until they open. We should know the employees by name by the time they start packing the place up, because we are in there so much. I don’t mind once every other week, but when you start to memorize what the little zombie is saying as he is swinging from the tree, and how many seconds it takes for the wolves to lurch out at you, you’ve been in the Halloween store a bit too much.
So let’s talk about these cupcakes! Not so spooky spiced chocolate Halloween cupcakes…such a long name, right? Kelsie helped me come up with it. One Saturday afternoon I was in the mood for cupcakes, chocolate cupcakes. However, I didn’t want ordinary cupcakes. I had been watching Chopped and every time something spicy comes up in the dessert round, the judges start talking chocolate pairs well with spice. To be honest, I’ve never really tried chocolate and spices together. It just wasn’t my jam. (wasn’t) I thought I’d just go with a classic chocolate cupcake recipe, and find my favorite chocolate frosting and spice it up – literally. Wow! These cupcakes were born, and those judges on Chopped know what they are talking about because chocolate and spices – Yum!
Of course you can enjoy these cupcakes anytime of the year; not just Halloween. I just thought spicy chocolate sounds like Halloween to me. Throw candy corn colored sprinkles – BAM! – Halloween cupcakes.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 and 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 60g
- 6 Tablespoons butter room temperature
- 6 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Next whisk the eggs, sugar, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla together until completely smooth, in a medium bowl.
- Pour half of the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mix (but not too much).
- Now pour in half the buttermilk, stir until just incorporated.
- Pour the remaining wet ingredients into the dry, mix until just incorporated.
- Finally pour the remaining buttermilk, mix until just incorporated. (do not over mix!)
- Spoon the batter into the liners - filling only halfway.
- Bake for 18-21 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Sift together the powdered sugar, chili powder, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, salt, and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a mixer beat the butter and vanilla for about 2 minutes, until it's creamy.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients, alternating with the heavy cream, while the mixer is set to low.
- Once all combined, beat on high until creamy, for at least 2 minutes.
- Frost completely cooled cupcakes, and top with sprinkles as desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 281 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 47mg Sodium: 184mg Carbohydrates: 36g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 26g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g