Mozzarella stuffed spinach chicken meatballs are juicy, flavorful, and bursting with melted gooey cheese!
I had always wanted to make meatballs because spaghetti and meatballs sounds so much better then just spaghetti. Then I found a recipe a couple of years ago for skinny italian meatballs, and from then on out that was my go to meatball when we would have spaghetti. It was really the perfect meatball. Made with ground chicken, parmesan cheese, and spinach throughout. The spinach may be visible by the eye, but it's barely noticed in flavor. Since I'm as picky as most children this worked out perfectly, because I was able to incorporate spinach into my diet!
One day I was mixing up my skinny italian meatballs and decided that I wanted a cheesy version. I cut up some cheese sticks and these beauties were created and we have enjoyed them ever since.
Who doesn't love meat stuffed with cheese?! They are delicious with a tomato sauce or you can eat them with an alfredo sauce. I think the ground chicken makes them versatile like that!
Serve with your favorite pasta dish!
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 10 oz frozen spinach thawed and well drained
- ½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 mashed garlic clove or a heaping teaspoon of the already minced stuff
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper be very generous with this
- 5 string cheese sticks cut into ½ inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss all your ingredients into a large bowl and get your hands in there and mix and mash it all together until it’s thoroughly incorporated.
- Measure out ¼ cup of meat at a time and half that.
- Shape each little half of the ¼ cup into little meatballs, making sure to stuff a chunk of cheese stick in the middle and place them on your baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 329Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 128mgSodium: 559mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 33g