Molasses Cookies are an old fashioned holiday favorite. They are super soft and have rich flavors of molasses, cinnamon, and ginger.
This post contains affiliate links. It does not cost you anything extra by clicking the links. If you make a purchase from the link, I will get a small commission from the sale. Thank you for always supporting Everyday Made Fresh.
Molasses Cookies take me way back to my childhood. Every time we visited my grandmother in Florida, I could always count on two things at her house, gingersnap cookies and extra sharp cheddar cheese.
You could find me in the kitchen at the bar with a plate of those gingersnap cookies and slices of that extra sharp cheddar cheese. I’ve always loved the combo, and to this day still eat them during the holidays.
Those cookies from my childhood were extra crisp and snappy. They also boasted a large dose of ginger. Things I love very much about gingersnap cookies, but every now and again, I want a soft chewy molasses cookie.
That is where these Molasses Cookies come in to play. They are thick and chewy, and the spice isn’t overpowering.
What ingredients do you need to make these cookies?
You’ll need the regular cookie ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt, butter, sugar and egg.
And we’ll add: cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and dark molasses.
Which molasses do I need?
There are several different varieties to choose from, but I find the best one is a dark molasses. I’ve used Black Strap Molasses as well, when making these cookies, and other ginger cookies, but that’s usually the extent of my using that particular variety.
How do I make Molasses Cookies?
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Mix together the wet ingredients.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients together.
- Chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven, roll into balls, then roll into sugar, and bake for 13 minutes.
Here are my favorite molasses/ginger cookies:
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- ¾ teaspoon ginger
- ¾ cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ dark molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- sugar for rolling, about ⅔ cup
- Whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger. Set aside.
- Beat the butter for one full minute, on high. Add the sugar, and beat for one minute. Add the molasses, egg, and vanilla. Beat until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients, in two batches, combine thoroughly.
- Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, when ready to bake. Line baking sheets with parchment paper, and measure the dough into 1 inch balls. Roll into the sugar, and place 2 inches apart. Bake for 13 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Remove to cooling racks, and allow to completely cool.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 117Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 119mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 0gSugar: 11gProtein: 1g