These Mexican Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies are the perfect blend of sweet and spicy. You’ll love the crispy edges and chewy centers.
I love a really good chocolate chip cookie. No fuss or muss, just a regular ‘ol chocolate chip cookie. However, sometimes you can make one little minor change to that regular ‘ol chocolate chip cookie, and it will blow your mind. That is sort of what happened with these Mexican Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies. I took Mexican chocolate drinking tablets, chopped them up, and tossed them into a chocolate chip cookie dough, and was met with the perfect blend of sweet and spicy. Even better? The texture that the larger chunks give these cookies! You get this whole airy crisp bite every now and then, that only the drinking tablets can give. Now of course I tossed in semi sweet chocolate chips too, because in my world, you can never have too much chocolate.
I love that these cookies are able to be baked immediately, as opposed to so many recipes, including my own, that require you to chill the dough first. I tried this recipe both ways, chilled and unchilled dough, and honestly it makes no difference in the outcome. So why waste the time chilling, when these can be consumed 20 minutes quicker!
These cookies aren’t thick like most of my others. They are thin, but the centers are still chewy, leaving the edges slightly crisp. Which is something I like in my cookies from time to time. Don’t worry about these being too spicy. They aren’t. As a matter of fact, you only get a slight heat every once in a while. If you like spicy, you can always add 1/8th of a teaspoon cayenne to the cookie dough. This should help bump up that spice, that you may be looking to create.
After making these cookies, I have so many ideas swimming through my head for what all you could do with the Mexican chocolate drinking tablets. Stay tuned for one that I’m really excited about testing out, and coming to life!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 10 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 Mexican Chocolate drinking tablet, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together. Set aside.
- In a bowl, attached to a stand mixer, with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together for 2 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla. Slowly add the dry ingredients in, with the mixer on low, a little at a time.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and chopped Mexican chocolate. This dough is super sticky, just dust your hands in flour, and form 1 1/2 inch balls of dough. Lay on the prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the edges are golden brown. (these cookies spread, so make sure you allow the 2 inches between them) Allow to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, before removing to cooling racks to cool completely.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 124 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 21mg Sodium: 128mg Carbohydrates: 16g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 10g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 1g