Maple-Glazed Chicken with Butternut Squash is a quick dinner recipe that has the flavors of fall and winter.
The first Friday of November, and there are only 2 more Fridays until Thanksgiving, and 6 more Fridays until Christmas. I’m going to admit that I’m not ready. Usually I’m thrilled for this time of the year. I’m ready for all the Holiday hooplah. But this year, the past few weeks have been hard. I’m trying to get into the Holiday spirit though. Honest. Last weekend I told Zack and Kelsie that every weekend in the month of November and December that I wanted us to watch a Christmas movie together. Zack’s question was if we had enough, I sort of laughed at him…Kelsie started naming and counting off what we have…basically we have plenty.
We are one of those houses that put up their Christmas stuff as soon as possible. Which as soon as possible will be next weekend! It always seems a little like Christmas morning when we start going through all of the decorations, because every year the day after Christmas we get up bright and early and head to Target and buy clearance goodies! 99% of the time I forget what I bought until the day we drag it all out to decorate with. I wonder what I bought last year?!
We’ve always gotten some really great hauls on that day. One year I even snagged a Christmas bedding set for our bedroom. I made a mistake though and washed it in water that was a tad too warm…the red bled all over the white parts in the scenes, which were everywhere, thanks to the snowmen and snow. I was bummed. We haven’t found anything like it again. When do y’all put up your Christmas decorations? Are y’all excited?
While you’re waiting to decorate for Christmas, I know that our day light is going to be shorter now, which means it will feel like we have less time in the evenings. Thankfully I have plenty of one pan meals for those nights that seem to be short on time. Of course fast meals don’t always have to be one pan recipes. This Maple-Glazed Chicken with Butternut Squash is ready in about 15 minutes. Yep, 15 minutes. You’ve got your starch and protein, and for the veggie portion, I usually just buy some of those steam in the bag veggies. If you don’t like butternut squash, you could totally sub it for sweet potato. It’s still gonna taste super yummy!
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled, and sliced into 1/2 inch chunks
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons steak seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup diced green onion
- Place your sliced butternut squash into a large microwave safe bowl. Place 2 tablespoons of water in the bottom. Cover with plastic wrap and vent. Cook in the microwave for 2 minutes, and check for fork tenderness. Add an additional minute. Check again. Do this until your butternut squash is for tender. Remove from the microwave and season with cinnamon (to taste), I used more than one teaspoon. Add the butter, and mash to a consistency that you like.
- Meanwhile, season the chicken breasts on both sides with the steak seasoning. Heat a large pan over medium to high heat, and cook chicken on both sides 6 to 8 minutes each side, until they are cooked through and no longer pink. Remove from the skillet, and set aside.
- In the skillet whisk in the maple syrup, being sure to scrape up any bits from the bottom. Cook for two minutes. Stir in the green onions. Remove from the pan. Divide the chicken and butternut squash among four plates and top with the maple glaze.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 356 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 117mg Sodium: 384mg Carbohydrates: 27g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 15g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 39g