Need a quick and easy dinner recipe? One that has meat, vegetable, and starch? This Lemon Chicken & Vegetable Skillet is the answer!
I have really been on a one pan meals kick lately. It's really a good thing too because every evening after dinner we've been in the back yard enjoying the beautiful weather.
Our garden is coming along really nicely, except my squash flat out died. I have no idea what happened, because I'm doing everything to all the plants the same.
I'm thinking it was just the squash plants that I bought. We are thinking of buying either more strawberries to go there, or another tomato plant.
Over the weekend we were busy planting flowers and cleaning out flower beds to refresh mulch that had exceeded it's lifetime. It's amazing what new mulch will do to a flower bed.
We are trying to invite the bees to our yard! Ever since Kelsie found out that the bees were endangered, she has been excited every time she sees one, and wants to plant flowers everywhere. She got a book called The Usborne Outdoor Book from a Usborne book party, and it's filled with so many great things, including a little bee hideaway.
We put one in our new flower bed. She's so excited, and has been checking it everyday...even though there aren't any flowers growing yet.
With all our busyness these days one pan meals are a lifesaver. Even better when they are filled with a starch, meat, and vegetable!
This Lemon Chicken & Vegetable Skillet is perfect, since it's well balanced. If you aren't a fan of new potatoes, red potatoes can be subbed.
And if you aren't a fan of asparagus, green beans would go great in this dish. (we've done that ourselves)
If you're looking for even more one pan meals than what we've made, be sure to check out our one pan/skillet meals on Pinterest, where I've pinned all sorts of great ideas!
Lemon Chicken & Veggie Skillet ingredients:
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- baby yellow potatoes
- olive oil
- Dijon mustard
- lemon juice
- zest from one lemon
- fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- minced garlic
- dried oregano
Lemon Chicken & Vegetable Skillet substitutions:
Asparagus can be easily swapped out for green beans or broccoli.
Baby yellow potatoes can be swapped for red potatoes or diced sweet potatoes.
Boneless skinless chicken breasts can be switched up with chicken thighs, if you have those on hand, or like them better.
A few of our favorite skillet recipes:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed can sub fresh green beans
- 1 cups baby yellow potatoes, quartered can sub red potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- zest from one lemon
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large gallon zip top bag, mix together the olive oil, mustard, lemon juice, lemon zest, thyme, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Marinate the chicken for 30 minutes.
- When you're ready to cook the chicken, melt the butter in a large oven safe pan. Sear the chicken on both sides until browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add the potatoes to the pan, season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven for 20 to 22 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Add the chicken and asparagus. Bake for 25 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through. (165 degrees)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 903Total Fat: 38gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 201mgSodium: 1140mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 8gSugar: 9gProtein: 71g