Both of my kids have always had this thing with chocolate milk. My oldest never liked "white" milk, and my youngest, well she prefers the chocolate stuff. When she was toddling around, learning to talk, she would call it "gunk gunk". They grow up way too fast!
Anyways. If you have a lover of chocolate milk, hot cocoa, etc. in your family, and you want to feed them something other than high fructose corn syrup and junk, you can make them this. It's easy, it's a little time consuming, if you think 15 minutes is too long. But most of all you probably have these things in your pantry now.
-Scroll down for printable version-
What do you need?
¾ cup brown sugar
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 cup cocoa powder
1 cup cold water
dash of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
What do you do?
1. Combine all your ingredients in a medium saucepan. Mix them together with a whisk.
2. Over medium to high heat, continue stirring. You'll notice it to start to come together.
3. As it begins to boil, pull off the heat until it goes down, keep stirring!!
4. You'll do step 5 for about 10 minutes.
5. Allow to cool and pour into a squeeze bottle or mason jar. Keep in the fridge.
If it's as thick as pudding when you pull it from the fridge, you did step 3 too long. Just heat up what you want to put in your milk for about 10 to 15 seconds. Don't put the whole thing in there because otherwise you'll end up with a clumpy mess.
this recipe was adapted from chocolatechocolateandmore