Using only 5 ingredients, this Graham Cracker Toffee is sweet, sticky, and perfect for munching on during Christmas!
I know that everyone has seen “Christmas Crack” all over Pinterest, and if you haven’t, then it’s obvious that you aren’t following anyone that posts food. I have seen this recipe floating around for years, but thought who wants to eat chocolate, toffee, and saltine crackers?! Obviously a lot of people, since it’s considered “crack.”
During the summer I really wanted something sweet to munch on. Not really in the mood for cookies or brownies, I set out on Pinterest on my top secret recipes to try board and ran across the so called “Christmas Crack.”
After reading the ingredients and instructions, I decided that it might be good to at least give it a try, before knocking it. However, I couldn’t imagine using saltine crackers. Ok, so I didn’t have any on hand. 😉 I did have graham crackers though. I thought peanut butter and graham crackers are good together, so this would be too. Yea, I know peanut butter and toffee have nothing in common, besides their color.
Y’all, this stuff is crack! It’s amazingly tasty. This recipe is the whole reason behind my Not So Spooky Pretzel Toffee. It’s just a great combination of flavors. It doesn’t require a whole bunch of ingredients and you could seriously make this, toss it in the freezer to harden up, and have it ready to go in a matter of 2 hours. And that’s on a hot and humid day. Just imagine how quickly you could make this on a cold day in December.
Don’t be scared by the fact that you’ll be boiling sugar. YES, it’s super HOT, do not by any means get this on your skin, because it will hurt. However, if you’re careful, you won’t get any on yourself. This recipe is not hard to follow, and I’m most certain that anyone can make it. Oh, and you don’t even need a candy thermometer!
- Graham crackers - enough to cover the bottom of a 9X13 inch dish
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9X13 inch baking pan with foil, and spray with non-stick cooking spray. (you can not skip either step!)
- Place a single layer of graham crackers, covering the entire bottom of the baking pan.
- In a medium size pot, combine the butter and brown sugar, over medium high heat.
- Stirring constantly, bring to a boil.
- Once a boil is reached, reduce the heat, and simmer for 5 minutes, uncovered. Do not simmer too high or too fast, or you will burn the sugar!
- Stir frequently. I actually stirred the entire 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, remove from the heat. Wait 30 seconds, stir in the vanilla.
- Pour over the graham crackers.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, allow to rest for 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips all over the top, and allow to rest for 3 minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula, spread the melted chocolate all over the top.
- You may add sprinkles, nuts, or graham cracker crumbs at this time.
- Allow to set completely before cutting.
- I always toss mine in the fridge to quicken the process.
- Remove by lifting the foil out of the pan, and cutting or breaking into pieces.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 113 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 14mg Sodium: 45mg Carbohydrates: 11g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 10g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 1g