Sprinkles are all the rage, which means these Funfetti Cupcakes will be a hit at your next party! They are simple to make and the best part...they don't require a mixer!
June is the month of birthdays for us. Kayla, Zack, and I have birthdays this month. Kayla's was last week, and that's when I made these Funfetti Cupcakes!
Sprinkles (funfetti) seems to be everywhere lately, (I made Perfectly Chewy Funfetti Sugar Cookies a couple of weeks ago) and I couldn't pin down a cake flavor for her so I decided funfetti would be the way to go.
I made Funfetti Cake with Vanilla Buttercream last year for Zack's birthday, and it was a hit.
Kayla has never been a huge chocolate cake fan, so I like to choose chocolate cake for my birthday. This year I'm going for a chocolate on chocolate on chocolate cake for my birthday. Don't worry chocolate fans, I'm sharing that recipe! It's one of my favorites.
But these Funfetti Cupcakes are quite yummy too. They have a beautiful vanilla flavor with a buttercream that isn't too sweet. It won't rot your teeth out while consuming it like some.
As I was working on social media ideas for promoting these, I thought that you could really make these holiday themed by changing the sprinkle colors and frosting color.
I can see these for 4th of July, Halloween, and Christmas! Lookout holiday parties Funfetti Cupcakes are coming!! You would totally win mom of the year if you made these for your kids school parties!
There is no reason to run to the store to buy a funfetti cake mix when these can be made just as easy, without a mixer. Plus homemade goodies always taste better.
This recipe yields about 14 cupcakes that are soft and tender, while still holding its shape. Just the way a cupcake should be, without falling apart completely.
These cupcakes were a hit at the party and afterwards. We had a few left over that I took to a family get-together and they enjoyed them just the same.
Funfetti Cupcakes ingredients:
- flour + baking powder + baking soda + salt
- vanilla greek yogurt
- rainbow sprinkles not non-pareils
How do you make Funfetti Cupcakes from scratch?
- Combine the melted butter and sugar.
- In another bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Whisk the egg, yogurt, vanilla, and milk into the butter/sugar mixture.
- Add half the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Add the other half of the dry ingredients, and stir until combined. Stir in the sprinkles.
- Allow to cool completely on cooling racks before frosting.
Frosting for Funfetti Cupcakes:
I love the vanilla buttercream we used here, but you can also put on this Strawberry Buttercream, this whipped cream cheese frosting, or chocolate frosting. All of those would be delicious as well!
A few of our favorite cupcake recipes:
- Chocolate Cupcake with Fresh Strawberry Buttercream
- Carrot Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
- Not So Spooky Spiced Chocolate Halloween Cupcakes
Sprinkles are all the rage, which means these Funfetti Cupcakes will be a hit at your next party! They are simple to make and the best part…they don’t require a mixer!
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ⅔ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup vanilla greek yogurt
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup rainbow sprinkles not non-pareils
- ¾ cup butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 14 muffin cups with liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the melted butter and sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk the egg, yogurt, vanilla, and milk into the butter/sugar mixture. Add half the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Add the other half of the dry ingredients, and stir until combined. Stir in the sprinkles.
- Pour the batter into 14 liners evenly. Tap against the counter, and place in the oven for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely on cooling racks before frosting.
- Beat the butter with a paddle attachment in a stand mixer for a full 3 minutes. Add the vanilla extract and salt. Slowly add half of the powdered sugar and half of the heavy whipping cream. Beat until combined. Add the remaining powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream. Beat for 3 to 4 minutes. If you are adding color, add it during after the last of the powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream have been mixed in. Add more for a deeper depth of color. (for the purple I used a neon purple food coloring)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 412Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 299mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 0gSugar: 41gProtein: 3g
Those are almost too pretty to eat...but just almost. Because who am I kidding - I would eat at least 4 or 5 of them in one sitting 🙂
These look so absolutely yummy - I'm dying to give them a try! I haven't tried to make anything "funfetti" yet but looks like a load of fun!
I have a horrible time making lavender or purple frosting, but these are so pretty! The Greek yogurt is a terrific idea for making them moister and adding more vanilla flavor!
Thanks for sharing. My little Witch turns 4 on Saturday and these cupcakes will be amazing for her. She will absolutely love these, so thank you.
Your frosting is pretty perfect and pretty!! We love homemade buttercream frosting here as well, I refuse to purchase premade frosting ever again in my life. My kids are so keen to spot out "fake" icing as they call it.
Greek Yogurt in cupcakes is something I haven't done before. These sound good, I haven't made cupcakes with rainbow sprinkles in ages!
These cupcakes make me want to eat them right away! They are so colorful and bright. Haha! Cannot get my eyes off them.
Jocelyn @ Hip Mama's Place
These cupcakes are adorable! I haven't made funfetti cupcakes before. They're definitely perfect for parties especially if there are kids! I think it's awesome and easy to make. Thanks for the recipe!
Those look so good. I am such a big fan of cupcakes. My only request would be more frosting, please!
Those are super fun and so festive! I love the color of the frosting. I would eat that in a minute.
These are the most beautiful cupcakes I have seen in a while. Gorgeously lit, and perfectly focused.
I love the color of that frosting! It's so fun (obviously, since they're called FUNfetti cupcakes). My son's birthday is coming up, maybe I'll actually try baking him these instead of buying a cake!
These cupcakes look like so much fun to make. I really like that they are created from scratch instead of a box.
I've never thought about adding sprinkles to the mix to create the funfetti look. Such a fun idea.
These cupcakes are not only beautiful, but they are also festive and perfect for any party. I love the colors of the frosting.
I'm drooling right now! These look AMAZING and I love the addition of the vanilla Greek yogurt!
Yum! I have two little girls so sprinkles and funfetti are favorites in our home! These are great for any occasion.
Wow, those look amazing! I have to confess that I have never tried a funfetti cupcake. I guess now is the time! I should try these.
Krystal // The Krystal Diaries
Funfetti has to be one of my favorite type of cupcakes! I'be never tried to make them from scratch before though so I am going to try your recipe asap!
Love the icing color!
Hi, the main attraction here seems to be your enticing icing. What brand and color of food coloring did you use and how many drops?