Sprinkles are all the rage, which means these Funfetti Cupcakes will be a hit at your next party! They are simple to make and the best part…they don’t require a mixer!
June is the month of birthdays for us. Kayla, Zack, and I have birthdays this month. Kayla’s was last week, and that’s when I made these Funfetti Cupcakes! Sprinkles (funfetti) seems to be everywhere lately, (I made Perfectly Chewy Funfetti Sugar Cookies a couple of weeks ago) and I couldn’t pin down a cake flavor for her so I decided funfetti would be the way to go. I made Funfetti Cake with Vanilla Buttercream last year for Zack’s birthday, and it was a hit.
Kayla has never been a huge chocolate cake fan, so I like to choose chocolate cake for my birthday. This year I’m going for a chocolate on chocolate on chocolate cake for my birthday. Don’t worry chocolate fans, I’m sharing that recipe! It’s one of my favorites. But these Funfetti Cupcakes are quite yummy too. They have a beautiful vanilla flavor with a buttercream that isn’t too sweet. It won’t rot your teeth out while consuming it like some.
As I was working on social media ideas for promoting these, I thought that you could really make these holiday themed by changing the sprinkle colors and frosting color. I can see these for 4th of July, Halloween, and Christmas! Lookout holiday parties Funfetti Cupcakes are coming!! You would totally win mom of the year if you made these for your kids school parties!
There is no reason to run to the store to buy a funfetti cake mix when these can be made just as easy, without a mixer. Plus homemade goodies always taste better.
This recipe yields about 14 cupcakes that are soft and tender, while still holding its shape. Just the way a cupcake should be, without falling apart completely. These cupcakes were a hit at the party and afterwards. We had a few left over that I took to a family get-together and they enjoyed them just the same.
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vanilla greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles not non-pareils
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 14 muffin cups with liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the melted butter and sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk the egg, yogurt, vanilla, and milk into the butter/sugar mixture. Add half the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Add the other half of the dry ingredients, and stir until combined. Stir in the sprinkles.
- Pour the batter into 14 liners evenly. Tap against the counter, and place in the oven for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely on cooling racks before frosting.
- Beat the butter with a paddle attachment in a stand mixer for a full 3 minutes. Add the vanilla extract and salt. Slowly add half of the powdered sugar and half of the heavy whipping cream. Beat until combined. Add the remaining powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream. Beat for 3 to 4 minutes. If you are adding color, add it during after the last of the powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream have been mixed in. Add more for a deeper depth of color. (for the purple I used a neon purple food coloring)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 412 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 63mg Sodium: 299mg Carbohydrates: 55g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 41g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g