These Easy Homemade “Oreos”- Chocolate Sandwich Cookies are so simple to make, and taste better than store bought!
One of Kelsie’s favorite cookies is Oreos. Sadly she hasn’t had one in months. They include a few too many artificial ingredients and some of her allergens. I have searched the internet over for recipes that are easy and that don’t include any allergens. Finally after a week of searching I decided to play with 3 recipes, by working with all of them, swapping out ingredients from one to the other until it was allergy friendly. We came up with a yummy one! The outcome, both girls’ said that they were way better then those fake ones!
-Scroll down for a printable version-
What do you need?
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
3 tablespoons water
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons room temperature butter
1/2 cup room temperature butter
2 tablespoons half-n-half
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt
3 cups confectioners sugar
What do you do?
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix together your flax and water, set aside so that it can gel up and create your “egg”.
3. Mix flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, sugar, and baking powder together.
4. Add the butter and “egg”. Mix at a low speed until incorporated. This mixture is crumbly.
5. Measure out a tablespoon and roll with your hands into balls. Press down lightly, about 1/4 inch thick.
6. Bake 9 minutes. Take out and press them down a little where they’ve puffed up. Flip them over, carefully! Bake for another 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before transferring to cooling racks.
When they’ve cooled completely you can make up the filling. Mix all ingredients together, I used a spoon, mashing it and stirring it until it was thoroughly incorporated. Spread between two cookies and you’ve made an Oreo without all the artificial ingredients!
Using this recipe you can make our yummy Homemade Ice Cream Cake with a Chocolate Cookie Crust!