Crispy oven baked chicken, topped with romano cheese, and seasoned with lemon and herbs to make a Crispy Baked Lemon Chicken to remember.
I love fried chicken and can remember growing up eating it ever so often. I never fully understood why we didn’t eat it every week, or every other week for that matter, but as an adult, I totally get it! Who has time to fry chicken?? Well honestly I can fry it up fairly quickly, and even told y’all my recipe for The Best Fried Chicken, Southern Style a while back. So I’ll change the who has the time to who wants to clean up after frying chicken?
Right. It’s a greasy mess. I don’t use a splatter guard because I don’t have one. I use wads of paper towels to lay the chicken on to drain away the excess grease, and then I salt it when I pull it out from frying it, and lets face it, the salt goes everywhere. Oh, and then I really like to make mashed potatoes with fried chicken, because can you really enjoy fried chicken without mashed potatoes? I can not. Anyway, I am getting off track here. So this Crispy Baked Lemon Chicken is juicy, crispy like it came from the fryer, and clean up is so much better. Let’s also not forget that it’s healthier since we are baking this chicken! And the lemon and romano cheese together? Perfect!
[bctt tweet=”Crispy Baked Lemon Chicken is the perfect alternative to fried chicken!”]
Every time I make this meal I pair it with my Creamy Cheesy Cauliflower, however you could totally make this with whatever you wanted too!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked provolone cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup shredded romano cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano
- zest of one lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Season your chicken with the salt and pepper.
- Combine the mozzarella and smoked provolone cheese in a bowl, and set aside.
- In a shallow dish mix together the panko, romano cheese, oregano, lemon zest, garlic powder and pepper. Set aside.
- In another dish mix together your egg and flour.
- Dredge one chicken breast at a time making sure to thoroughly coat. Start with the egg/flour mixture, and then into the panko mixture.
- Place the chicken onto a plate until you have all the chicken coated.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium to high heat.
- Cook your chicken breasts for 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- You just want to brown both sides right now.
- Place your browned chicken onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella/romano cheese on top of the chicken and bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with lemon slices.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 634 Total Fat: 36g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 22g Cholesterol: 189mg Sodium: 856mg Carbohydrates: 21g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 2g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 55g