This creamy chicken and rice casserole is pure comfort food at it’s best. It’s thick creamy sauce covering chicken flavored rice, with chunks of chicken, and topped with crispy onions.
It’s that time of year when you can feel the crisp fall air trying to make an appearance (or maybe your lucky and already have cool weather). Cooler weather calls for dishes that are jammed with flavors and comfort. There is just something about eating a comfort food in your sweats, on a weekend, curled up in a handmade quilt, and watching a movie. (or maybe a football game)
This creamy chicken and rice casserole is pure comfort food at it’s best. It’s thick creamy sauce covering chicken flavored rice, with chunks of chicken, and topped with crispy onions. Yum! I wished I had some of this right now. I think that it will have to be on the menu soon.
It may seem like a lot of ingredients or a lot of instructions, but trust me it’s not. We have this during the week, it takes an hour. You can totally put this together on the weekend, top it with your oven when your ready, and bake it up.
chicken flavored rice
- 1 cup rice
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- chicken bullion cube
- 1 chicken flavored rice recipe cooked according to the directions.
- 1 container of cream of chicken soup we love Pacific brand
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4-5 boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1 container or fried onions Trader Joe's has a delicious brand that is only seasonal, so stock up!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To make your rice, in a medium sized sauce pot heat your butter over medium to high heat.
- Once the butter is melted add your rice, and cook for 3-5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add your broth, bullion cube, and spices.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10-15 minutes until rice is done.
- Mix together in a large bowl your rice, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and chicken.
- Pour into a large casserole dish and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven, top with your crispy onions and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 348Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 111mgSodium: 661mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 32g