When I was reading blogs the other day I ran across a post that made me remember that I had cranberries in the freezer. I had planned on making the ever so popular copycat cranberry bliss bar, but I was out of white chocolate and had oranges, so I thought that I had to make cranberry orange muffins instead. White chocolate chips are on my Whole Foods shopping list in a couple of weeks when we go again.
These remind me a little of the coffee shop that I used to work at because we sold a cranberry orange muffin. However, these tasted so much better!
This recipe was adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
Scroll down for a printable version of the recipe.
What do you need?
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds + 6 tablespoons water, mix together (do this first and set aside)
½ cup butter, room temp
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
zest of 2 oranges
1 ¾ cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 /2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons milk
1 ½ cup frozen cranberries – do not thaw
½ cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon orange juice
What do you do?
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line your muffin tin with paper cups sprayed with cooking spray, or line them with silicone cups. (I used them and love them!)
2. In a large bowl cream the butter, sugar, and brown sugar until creamy.
3. Add the sour cream and vanilla extract, mix until combined. Add the flax “eggs” and orange zest, mix until just combined.
4. In a medium bowl mix together your flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet, small amounts at a time, making sure to combine thoroughly before adding more dry.
5. Once the dry has been combined into the wet ingredients, add your orange juice and milk. Stir until combined.
6. Spoon the batter evenly, filling up each cup to the top. A tip from Sally’s Baking Addiction; top each muffin with a couple of cranberries.
7. Bake for 5 minutes and then drop the temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for another 18 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
8. Prepare the glaze and drizzle spoon over the muffins while they are still warm.