Nothing says winter quite like cranberries! Which is why this Cranberry Chicken & Vegetable Skillet is perfect to enjoy while they are still in season.
The first week of January for us was unbelievably cold, and I loved every second of it. I’m talking highs in north Florida, only in the low 40’s! With the wind chill in the 20’s.
It was wonderful. It really felt like winter.
I know a lot of my friends and family complained, but y’all it’s winter! Let us celebrate with a few weeks of totally bone chilling weather.
Of course, I’ve had it easy…I homeschool, so I don’t have to take my daughter out in the mornings to school. I also work from home, so there is that too. Ok, I get it people, if I had to go out in this I’d feel the same way. Just layer up, and go! Winter is super short lived here in Florida. 🙂
This year I’m trying to eat more foods that are in season. I just like the idea of being able to find exactly what I’m looking for while I’m in the store, at the right price.
I hate going to the store and paying $10.00 for a watermelon the size of a cantaloupe in January!
Funny thing, that actually happened when I was pregnant with Kayla. Haha. I had a craving for watermelon, and it was literally that price for that size. So crazy!! But totally understandable. So now you see what I mean by eating in season.
Our produce department is still loaded with beautiful cranberries, and I’m glad because of meals like this Cranberry Chicken & Vegetable Skillet!
I love one pan meals, and this one is sure to please. The cranberries pop and release their yummy juices which is absorbed by the potatoes and carrots. A totally perfect match! I actually bought a bag or two and popped them in the freezer just in case my family is in the mood to have this again.
I added rosemary because I just love it! It’s the one herb that I don’t use nearly enough of. I used to go through it all the time, adding a dash or two to potatoes, chicken or pork, but I just don’t anymore. So to have rosemary in this dish, it just really enhances the flavors all around it.
How do I pick the best cranberries?
We usually buy our cranberries bagged up in the produce section, and picking the best ones can sometimes be difficult.
I like to move the berries around in the bag, looking at as many as I can. I’m looking for plump and dark in color. You also want berries that are somewhat kind of firm.
Ingredients for Cranberry Chicken & Vegetable Skillet?
- red potatoes
- fresh cranberries
- olive oil
- chicken broth
- brown sugar
- balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
Here are some other dishes that I love, featuring seasonal produce:
- Sheet Pan Sausage, Asparagus and Sweet Potato
- One Pan Sasuage, Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potato
- Sheet Pan Roasted Balsamic & Honey Chicken & Asparagus
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pound red potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 ½ cups fresh cranberries
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Rub the chicken with two tablespoons of the olive oil, thyme, rosemary, garlic, and lemon zest. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl mix together the cranberries, brown sugar, lemon juice, and balsamic vinegar. Set aside.
- Heat a large oven safe pan over medium to high heat. Add two tablespoons olive oil. Sear the chicken on both sides until golden brown. (we aren't cooking the chicken through) Cook about 5 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the butter, potatoes, and carrots. Cook until slightly softened. Pour in the chicken broth, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Nestle the chicken into the pan.
- Pour the cranberries over the chicken. Place the pan in the oven, and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 539Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 119mgSodium: 481mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 5gSugar: 12gProtein: 41g