While making supper last night I was going for my normal sausage and potato skillet, but found that the chorizo was a bit too spicy for Kelsie. She isn’t that fond of spice. I told Zack “I’ll make a casserole!”, and he let me know real quick that I couldn’t make everything into a casserole. Ha! I fooled him. I turned this dish into a casserole, and it was too amazing not to share with y’all!
-Scroll down for a printable version-
What do you need?
1 pound chorizo, sliced into 1/4 inch slices (we bought a yummy one from Whole Foods)
1 bag hashbrowns
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 oz plain greek yogurt
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup beef broth
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream or half-n-half
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
What do you do?
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease an 8X8 baking dish.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet, add onions and chorizo, cook until onions are translucent and chorizo is browned, drain any grease.
3. In a small sauce pot, melt 2 tablspoons butter over medium heat, whisk in the flour.
4. Slowly pour and whisk the beef broth and half and half in until incorporated, remove from heat.
5. Add 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/2 teaspoon onion powder.
6. Mix in the greek yogurt.
7. In a large mixing bowl incorporate the hashbrowns, chorizo/onion, and the greek yogurt mix.
8. Pour into your greased baking dish, top with shredded cheese, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.