Chocolate chips stuffed inside of a cocoa ginger batter make these Chocolate Chip Ginger Cookies a holiday staple!
Today is day 2 of our First Annual 7 Days of Christmas Cookies! I’m so excited about this new event that I’ve created.
It’s gonna be so much fun sharing our family’s favorite Christmas cookies with y’all every year.
If you missed yesterdays, Mocha Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies, be sure to take a peek at those, if you love drinking a hot cafe mocha! Yum!
Today’s cookie is one of my favorites…wait, yea, I know, I start every cookie with one of my favorites…but this is my favorite ginger cookie!
It’s rich and chewy, with cocoa powder in the batter, and then chocolate chips studded throughout.
Y’all, these are sure to make Santa happy, at his stop to your home! I took one of my favorite chewy ginger cookie recipes, Pumpkin Ginger Cookies, and played with it until I got this beauty.
One of which I might add, couldn’t keep in the house longer than a couple of days. These remind me of that chip saying “once you pop, you can’t stop!”
This recipe has a secret ingredient in it that you’re not going to believe…or maybe you will! Black pepper.
It really gives that bite you want from ginger, and it pairs so perfectly with the chocolate.
What’s your favorite Christmas cookie? Are you a classic sugar cookie or do you like something a little bit different?
Out of all the cookies that I’ve ever made, this is one that was hard to keep in the cookie jar. It’s also one that was requested four times in a month. Maybe it’s one of my family’s favorites?
It’s probably hard for them to nail down a favorite since I’ve been preparing for the 7 Days of Christmas Cookies, along with all the other cookies I’ve ever made.
Ingredients in Chocolate Chip Ginger Cookies:
- dark brown sugar and sugar
- ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg
- fresh grated ginger
- black pepper and salt
- flour and baking soda
- cocoa powder
- chocolate chips
How to make Chocolate Chip Ginger Cookies:
- Cream the butter and brown sugar.
- Add all the spices, salt, and baking soda.
- Mix in the fresh ginger and molasses.
- Add the cocoa powder and flour.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Chill for at least two hours.
- Form into dough balls and roll in sugar.
Here are other recipes that feature ginger:
- Gingerbread Granola
- White Chocolate Gingerbread Kiss Cookies
- Gingerbread Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup sugar for rolling the balls of cookie dough in
- a large bowl attached to a stand mixer, cream the butter for two minutes, until nice and creamy. Add the brown sugar, and beat for another two minutes, until nice and fluffy.
- With the mixer on low add the spices, salt, and baking soda. Once mixed, add the ginger and molasses.
- Add the cocoa powder, and flour, on low, adding the flour in small portions at a time. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Cover the dough in the bowl with plastic wrap, and chill for at least 2 hours.
- When ready to bake, remove from the fridge, and preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Roll the dough into balls 1 1/2 inch. Roll the balls into the sugar, and place on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake for 11 to 13 minutes. If you can't place them all on two baking sheets in the oven at one time, place the unused dough back into the fridge while waiting on a cookie sheet.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 10 minutes, before transferring to cooling racks. Make sure if you are reusing cookie sheets for more dough to allow the pans to cool fully.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 187Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 117mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 2g