The American classic chili cheese dog has been turned into an easy weeknight casserole, with this Chili Cheese Dog Casserole, that the whole family will love!
Junk food for dinner happens around our house from time to time. We can’t eat chicken all the time! 😉 When I saw this recipe come across Facebook a couple of weeks ago, I knew that I was going to have to make it.
It’s a recipe from one of my favorite Iron Chef’s, Michael Symon. I’ve made a few of Michael Symon’s recipes over the years from either online or from one of his cook books that I have on my cook book shelf.
He has some wonderful creations, so I knew that this was not going to disappoint. And it didn’t. The family went crazy for it! There was even extra cheese sauce and Kelsie used it for her Beanito Chips for a cheesy dipping sauce.
What is a chili cheese dog?
A chili cheese dog is a hot dog, bun and hot dog, topped with chili, and shredded cheese.
What ingredients are in chili cheese dog casserole?
Essentially you have 4 ingredients – hot dog buns, hot dogs, chili, and a cheese sauce.
For this recipe, we made a cheese sauce from scratch. However, if you’re short on time, by all means use your favorite cheese sauce.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes! However, because we are using hot dog buns in as the bread in this recipe, you will need to go ahead and bake this.
Allow to cool completely before covering and freezing.
This recipe seems like it contains a ton of steps, but once you get going, it moves rather quickly. We transformed this recipe a bit from the original because we love our family chili recipe.
What kind of chili is best?
You can use our recipe for The Best Chili Ever!!, buy a can, use your own, or use the chili recipe from the original recipe. It’s up to you!
I love taking a recipe and making it my own. I encourage you to take this recipe and make it your own as well.
Can I use canned biscuits?
Yes! You certainly can. I would use a can that is 7.5 ounces. Cut them into small bite sized pieces, and make the recipe as is. You may need to up your bake time by about 10 minutes. Check at 25 and then add time as needed.
I think you’ll find that this recipe doesn’t really contain any vegetables, except what may be in the chili. You can add nutrtional value here by adding in diced bell peppers and/or onions to your chili, before adding to this casserole.
Chili Cheese Dog Casserole is perfect for using leftover chili.
Here are a few more of our favorite casseroles:
- 1 1/2 cups chili
- 8 hot dogs sliced in half length-wise, and then in half again
- 8 hot dog buns cut into one-inch pieces, and toasted
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat the oven to broil, and lay your bun pieces out on a sheet pan.
- Place in the oven for 3 to 4 minutes per side until they are nice and toasted. Set aside.
- To make the cheese sauce, melt the butter in a small pot over medium to high heat.
- Whisk in the flour, and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the milk, while whisking.
- When the milk is combined, whisk in the mustard and hot sauce.
- When the sauce has slightly thickened, turn the heat off, and remove from the burner.
- Add the cheese and whisk until it's thoroughly melted and incorporated. Set aside.
- Stir together the chili and the toasted buns in a large bowl.
- To assemble; in a greased 11X7 inch baking dish start with half of your bun chili mix on the bottom, followed by all the sliced hot dog pieces, then the rest of the bun chili mix.
- Top it all off by pouring the cheese sauce over the top.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until gold brown.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 733Total Fat: 47gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 111mgSodium: 1517mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 32g