Peppers, onions, spices, and cheese come together to make this a perfect bowl of Chicken Fajita Soup!
Happy Halloween! It’s the end of October, and I don’t know about y’all but I am ready for soup/chili/stew weather. Of course I never let the temperature stop me from enjoying a warm bowl of homemade goodness. I just think it tastes that much better when it’s below 60 degrees outside.
Tomorrow is November first, and that means only 24 more days until Thanksgiving. Whose ready? I am counting down! I’ve made my menu and grocery lists, I’m working on a little extra cleaning of the house each day, and I’m stocking up on my hot chocolate ingredients.
The kids are ready for Christmas trees and deck the halls. And, I am too! We put up our trees in a couple of weeks. I’m so excited…can you tell?
I’m also very excited to tell y’all about this soup! This soup is perfect for those chilly days where all you want to do is grab a cozy quilt, and cuddle up by the fire. (I wished I had a fireplace to cozy up in front of!) Anyway.
This Chicken Fajita Soup tastes just like chicken fajitas, with just the right amount of spice! This soup is loaded with chunks of chicken, black beans, chunks of tomato, and rice. It’s topped with cilantro, slices of avocado, cheese, and sour cream…Oh, I wished I had some right now!!
If you’re a lover of fajitas then you’re going to love this soup! It’s so easy to make, and ready when it’s all warmed up. Of course you know what they say about soup, and it holds true with this one as well…the longer you let it simmer, the better time the soup has for the flavors to come together. You can totally do that!
Heck, throw it in the slow cooker and let it go all day. I’d totally cook the rice first though and toss it in before serving, simply because I’ve never made rice in a slow cooker! I know, shocker!
If you know of a recipe that calls for rice in a slow cooker, put it in when that one says! I’m sure it would cook if it were in there all day, but you also don’t want sticky rice either.
Chicken Fajita Soup Ingredients:
- black beans
- mild green chilies
- crushed tomatoes
- chicken broth
- Jasmine rice
- chicken breasts
- sharp cheddar
- bell peppers
- olive oil
- chili powder
- chicken bouillon
- salt and pepper
Chicken Fajita Soup topping ideas:
sliced avocado – guacamole- sour cream – shredded cheese – cilantro – Mexican Crema
More of our favorite soup recipes:
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 4 oz can mild green chilies
- 1 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 58 oz chicken broth
- 3/4 cup Jasmine rice uncooked
- 1 pound chicken breasts thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1/2 large onion thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- fresh cilantro
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- Place a large soup pot over medium high heat, and melt the butter in the olive oil.
- Once the butter has melted, add the chicken and onions, cook for three or four minutes.
- Stir in the bell peppers, garlic, flour and all spices.
- Stir in rice, black beans, green chilies, crushed tomatoes and chicken broth, reserving 8oz of the chicken broth.
- Mix the corn starch and 8oz of chicken broth together. Pour in the soup.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 8-12 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Once rice is cooked through, remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Garnish with toppings and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 450Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 89mgSodium: 1792mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 8gSugar: 7gProtein: 33g