Leftover shredded chicken gets turned into Chicken, Black Bean & Rice Burritos with a Spicy Jalapeno Sauce that you'll be making again and again!
Only two more days until turkey day! I don't know about you, but Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I used to look at it as a holiday to be out of school, and a chance to eat pie.
However, now that I'm grown, with kids of my own, I realize that Thanksgiving isn't about the food, it's about taking a moment and saying a prayer of thanks. With all that goes wrong in our lives, we have a reason to be thankful.
If your reading this, your alive aren't you? That'a reason to be thankful. Even though we struggle from time to time with whatever, I'm thankful that I'm alive to live the struggle.
I'm thankful to have my kids, that are healthy. Sure Kelsie has food allergies, but I'm thankful that I'm her mother. God gave her to me because he knew that I would take those food allergies, and handle it! So through it all, I'm thankful.
Always look for reasons to be thankful, they may be small, but they are there. If you always look for the reasons to be thankful, your outlook on life tends to be a bit better. Remember to take time and give thanks this week.
I don't know about you, but I'm thankful for leftovers! I'm not talking just turkey leftovers, I'm talking any night of the week leftovers. It means one night that I don't have to figure out what to make, because I just open the fridge and something is there.
This dish came about with leftover shredded chicken and my family loves these! They are so simple to put together, and even if you don't have left over chicken, you could buy a rotisserie chicken and it still be just as simple. You could even get all Sandra Lee (from Food Network) and get Semi-Homemade with this by buying pre-made rice!
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 teaspoon of our homemade taco seasoning or a packet of taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup rice cooked
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 8 tortilla shells
- Sour cream for dipping
- ::Spicy Jalapeno Sauce:
- ¾ cup Earth Balance Mindful Mayo
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons minced jarred jalapeno slices
- 3 teaspoons juice from jarred jalapeno slices
::Spicy Jalapeno Sauce:
- Mix together your ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large microwave safe bowl mix together your shredded chicken, taco seasoning, rice, and black beans until mixed thoroughly. (if your mix isn't hot, heat in the microwave until it's heated through)
- Heat a large non stick 12 inch skillet over medium to high heat.
- Place one tortilla shell in the skillet, flipping it after one minute.
- Remove the shell from the skillet, spread a tablespoon or so of the spicy jalapeno sauce in the center of your shell, and top with ¼ cup of the chicken and rice mix.
- Sprinkle with a bit of cheese, and roll like you roll a burrito.
- Placing seam side down in your heated pan, heat on all sides until golden brown.
- About 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the pan, and repeat the steps until you no longer have any shells or chicken mix left.
- Serve with extra jalapeno sauce and sour cream on the side.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 527Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 1138mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 7gSugar: 2gProtein: 22g