A copycat version of a boxed favorite, this cheesy tuna pasta skillet is on the table in under 30 minutes!
We used to eat those all-in-one boxed meals where you add a meat, a lot during the week. It was a quick meal that the whole family loved. After Kelsie was diagnosed with food allergies we had to change our fast family fixes, because we could no longer have those type of meals. I loved the convenience, and simplicity, since week nights are hectic with homework, kitchen clean-up, and getting everything ready for the next day.
With our meal changes due to the food allergies, I found myself in the kitchen more often, and longer. I realized that I could do better with my time, and decided to recreate our old time boxed favorites. I came up with several copy cat versions of our old favorites. They are still just as fast and simple as cracking open that box. However, now they contain real ingredients that I can feel good about feeding family.
One of our all time favorites used to be a tuna cheddar cheese meal. I had tried to make it before but never could get the flavors just right. They say “if at first you don’t succeed try and try again!” Lucky for me, I didn’t give up! Your gonna love this version that’s packed with taste and chunks of Bumble Bee® Solid White Albacore in Water that the whole family is going to devour!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
- 2 cans Bumble Bee® Solid White Albacore in Water drained
- 1 pound pasta cooked according to the directions, and drained
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup sharp white cheddar
- 1 cup regular sharp cheddar
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon dry mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅓ cup Italian bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- While the pasta is cooking in salted water, in a medium to large size sauce pan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- When the butter is melted, whisk in your flour, salt, dry mustard, pepper, cayenne, onion and garlic powder.
- Continue stirring until thoroughly incorporated.
- Slowly whisk in your milk, very small amounts at a time, making sure to keep stirring, you don't want lumps!
- Once your milk is incorporated, turn the heat down to low.
- Simmer for 8-10 minutes or until sauce has thickened slightly. - Continue stirring constantly.
- Once the sauce has thickened slightly (coating the back of a spoon), stir in your cheese.
- Pour in your drained pasta, and Bumble Bee® Solid White Albacore in Water.
- Stir until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Mix together the topping, sprinkle evenly on top; place under broiler until the top is golden brown.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes, serve hot!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 716Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 26gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 1342mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 31g