Crispy bacon, a cheesy sauce, chunks of chicken – this Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole is the ultimate in comfort food!
Happy Monday and happy last week of September! Happy almost OctoberHalloweenThanksgivingandChristmas!! Can you tell I’m excited?
I love this time of year, but I swear to you that I live in the wrong state. As much as I love Florida (only a little bit), I’m ready to see leaves changing color, cool breezes, and snow flurries.
Whose with me? Are ya’ll ready for the next few months?
Let’s celebrate this last week of September with this Cheesy Chicken and Rice! This is made similar to a macaroni and cheese, but instead of pasta, we use rice. This is one of our favorite comfort foods to eat!
Ingredients in Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole:
- cheddar cheese
- chicken broth
- hot sauce
Use precooked chicken – Rotisserie chicken is perfect for this recipe.
Cheese – I love using extra sharp cheese, but Colby cheese works great.
Bacon – I always cook the bacon for this, but if you really want, you could buy the chopped real bacon pieces.
Rice – You can cook your own, or you could use the precooked kind.
Is this casserole freezer friendly?
Yes! Make the recipe all the way through, up to baking. Make sure it’s totally cooled, and cover tightly, and place in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When ready to bake, bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes covered, and then uncovered for 15 more minutes.
What can I serve this Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole with?
- ½ pound bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups dry rice cooked according to directions, and set aside
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded or chopped
- 2 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoons hot sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Melt butter in a medium to large pan over medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted, whisk in flour, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth.
- Whisk until slightly thickened.
- Stir in 1 ½ cups cheese until melted.
- Stir in the hot sauce.
- Stir in the cooked rice and chicken.
- Top with remaining 1 cup cheddar cheese and then top with crumbled cooked bacon.
- Place under oven’s broiler for 3-5 minutes until cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 626Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 148mgSodium: 1507mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 37g