Easy Cheeseburger Soup is a creamy soup with ground beef, potatoes, vegetables, and loads of cheese! Turn America’s favorite into your new favorite soup!
This post contains affiliate links. It does not cost you anything extra by clicking the links. If you make a purchase from the link, I will get a small commission from the sale. Thank you for always supporting Everyday Made Fresh.
*Edited to add new photos May 26th, 2020
January is certainly soup season, with the coldest of mornings, and chilly mid days. Even here in Florida, January is known for being the coldest month of the year for us.
So in January we eat soup! I love experimenting with new recipes when it comes to soup. This was no exception.
What the heck is cheeseburger soup?
It literally tastes like a cheeseburger with french fries! No ketchup, mustard, or mayo, of course.
What’s in cheeseburger soup?
Ground beef – cheese – potatoes – milk – chicken broth – carrots – celery – sour cream – and spices
What can I add on top or serve it with?
We have topped this cheeseburger soup with croutons and chopped bacon, to serving it with a baguette.
Dipping something in soup just makes life better. Especially when it’s a carb!
Can I make this in a slow cooker/crock pot?
Of course! Just make sure you line your crock pot with a liner! Pour the chicken broth, potatoes, onion, carrot, and celery in a 5 quart slow cooker. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Set the temperature to low and cook for 3-4 hours, until the vegetables are all soft.
Cook the ground beef over medium-high heat in a skillet, adding the measured out salt and pepper. Once it has cooked through, sprinkle the flour over the beef and stir to combine.
Pour in the milk and stir. Let the mixture cook until it thickens slightly.
When ready to serve, stir in the sour cream.
Looking for other delicious soups to keep warm this winter? Try some of our favorites!
- French Onion Soup
- Old Fashioned Vegetable Soup
- Cheddar Beer Soup
- Spicy Italian Sausage Soup
- Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ medium onion diced
- ¾ cup shredded carrots
- ¾ cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese plus extra for topping
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup sour cream
- In a large soup pot (whichever one you use soup for), cook your ground beef, drain the grease, and remove it from the pot, set aside.
- In the same pot, add 1 tablespoon butter, onion, carrots, celery, and basil. Cook until tender.
- Add the broth, potatoes, and cooked ground beef. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 12 to 14 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- In a small pot, add the remaining butter, and melt over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add the flour, whisk and cook for 2 to 4 minutes, or until bubbly.
- Add the roux (butter/flour mix) to the soup, and bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir of a couple of minutes, reduce the heat to low.
- Stir in cheese, milk, salt, and pepper. Stir until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream, just before serving.
- Top with additional shredded cheese.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 464Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 881mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 27g