One night a couple of years ago I was scrounging around the kitchen looking for something to throw together for dinner. It was around grocery time and I believe the meal for the night had been planned for hamburgers. However, buns were no where to be found. I finally decided to create a meal very similar to something my mother used to make that I detested, cornbeef hash. Our meal was named cheeseburger hash and has been in our dinner rotation ever since. The seasoning changes from time to time depending on what new spices may be in the cabinet, but we usually go back to the original. It's one of those throw together quick weeknight dinners that you can have on the table in under 30 minutes.
-Scroll down for a printable version-
What do you need?
1 ½ pounds of ground beef
4-5 medium sized potatoes - peeled and cubed on the smaller size
1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
4 teaspoons salt
2 ½ teaspoons pepper
4 teaspoons garlic powder
4 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
a dash of cayenne
½ tablespoon thyme
¼ cup olive oil
1 small onion, sliced
1 cup flour
3 cups canola oil - for frying
What do you do?
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix together your ¼ cup olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 ½ teaspoons pepper, 2 teaspoons onion powder, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, and ½ tablespoon thyme.
3. Put your cubed potatoes in a large bowl and pour the olive oil mixture over the top. Coat the potatoes by tossing them around; I use my hands.
4. Place the potatoes on the baking sheet so they are in one layer. Bake these for 15 minutes, turn over, and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
5. Cook your hamburger meat in a large skillet while the potatoes are roasting. Add the rest of the seasonings to your hamburger meat. (2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, 2 teaspoon garlic powder, 2 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon paprika, dash of cayenne) You can certainly get creative here and throw in whatever spices or seasonings your family enjoys.
6. Cover your hamburger meat and start on your onions!
7. Your going to mix just enough water into your flour to make a little looser than pancake batter. Throw your onions in.
8. Heat a small to medium pot on the stove over medium high heat.
9. Toss a few onions in and turn them as they begin to brown. Remove them from the oil and place onto paper towels and allow to drain the excess oil.
10. When the potatoes are done, add them to your hamburger meat, stir to combine. Top with the shredded cheese. Crank the oven up onto broil and place the pan into the oven.
11. When the cheese is all bubbly, it's ready to go! Top each plate with some onions and their favorite cheeseburger toppings. -ketchup, mustard, mayo, pickles, etc.-