Bake up these Chai Spiced Donuts in no time with this easy recipe. These are the perfect weekend breakfast!
There is something so perfect about a lazy Saturday morning with a cup of coffee in hand, the fireplace going (even if it’s the fake kind!), and a perfectly baked Chai Spiced Donut. What makes these so special? The fact that you don’t need to fry these bad boys up. The fact that the warm spices scream fall and winter. And last but not least…the fact that you’re eating a donut on a lazy Saturday morning!
I try and make something special for breakfast on the weekends. It’s the only two days during the entire week that we are all three together for breakfast. See the reason breakfast needs to be a little special? I’m not talking the full blown breakfast of eggs, bacon, tost, etc., although that is a pretty special breakfast…we usually reserve that for brinner. 🙂 We do it at least once every two weeks.
I’m talking special like French toast casserole, monkey bread, muffins, and these Chai Spiced Donuts. I made some apple cider donuts years ago, and ever since then I’ve been meaning to get back in the kitchen and go with my other favorite fall/winter beverage…chai tea. I’m not a hot tea fan, but there is something about the warm spices in chai tea that I love.
Year ago when I worked at The Coffee Beanery in the mall…I’m talking almost 20 years ago, there was a chai tea that when brewed with milk….oh man it was perfection. These donuts boast those same warm flavors. It takes me back to simpler times, for sure.
Love chai as much as me? I made a Chai Spiced Hot Cocoa last year that was super popular!
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, melted and cooled (divided)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray donut pan with non stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together the sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and allspice. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In another small bowl whisk together 3 Tablespoons of melted butter, the egg, 1/3 cup of the sugar/spice mix, sour cream, milk, and vanilla together until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Spoon the batter into the donut pan, and bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, melt the rest of the butter, and dip the donuts in coating both sides, and then into the cinnamon sugar mix. Best served fresh/day of.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 223 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 39mg Sodium: 226mg Carbohydrates: 34g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 25g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g
Looking for more special breakfast inspiration?